LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looks like I need a new EGR system. help me

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry looks like I need a new EGR system. help me

I am beyond sick of this car. I unbolted the part of the EGR that connects to the exhaust manifold (stock manifolds) to help move it out of the way to get a header gasket in. Well as I go in to re-connect it, turns out that the fitting's first two threads are stripped. So now my car is undrivable once again. I can't just remove the entire system because I don't have block off plates, and I don't have the money to tune it.

My daily driver is down again. any help is appreciated. Does anyone have the system lying around that they wouldn't mind parting with?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the same issue. Any old nut and bolt will do the trick.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

ever heard of a tap and die kit? You can normally rent them from parts stores.

Catmaign, sounds like the bolts are fine, what they thread into on the manifold is stripped.

Ebay has the block off plates for 20-30$. You dont need to retune it if you can stand looking at a CEL.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I just did some more research...and it looks like on a 93 if you leave the sensors on, the SES light shouldn't go on. And I've heard of a tap and die kit, but the part looks so stripped that there isn't much material left...

sorry I needed to vent...I might try and make block off plates (seems pretty simple)
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

On 93s, the AIR and EGR piping are shared, so your gonna have to deal with AIR, too.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you leave the egr solenoid plugged in with vacuum caps installed you will be fine. Be sure to remove ALL of the vacuum lines and cap the leftover fittings. Leave the EGR valve itself intact. The pipe that goes from the intake to the exhaust can be removed and only capped on the manifold/header. You're SES light will stay off because the solenoid is still intact and being operated, but not functioning. The hole in the back of the intake will not be an issue as long as the EGR valve is intact and stays closed, otherwise it will create a ginormous vacuum leak.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

so if I leave that valve on I shouldn't have any problems?? The new problem is the stupid openings on the headers (stock). I can't find a fitting to plug them with, and I need to solve this soon
any suggestions on that?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FocusVince
The new problem is the stupid openings on the headers (stock). I can't find a fitting to plug them with, and I need to solve this soon
any suggestions on that?
Go to your parts store and ask for two M22 drain plugs.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to do that...but I got some brass fittings from the local lowes that fit close and aren't leaking, so I think I'll be good until I can get the drain plugs.

Quick Reply: looks like I need a new EGR system. help me