LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running hot due to fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running hot due to fans?

My 94 Lt1 is running hot. Iv been digging around and read they do run hot but i think mines alil over the ok range. I think this might be caused by the fans so i started to play around with them and noticed this. Fan 2 never kicks on. Fan 1 kicks on for both AC and cooling. When i take the relay out for fan 1 fan 2 still never kicks on. HOW EVER with the relay for fan 1 out and i turn on AC fan 2 dos turn on. When i put it back in fan 2 then shuts off and fan 1 takes over. I was lead to believe one fans for AC ones for Cooling and or Fan 2 kicks on after X Temp when the cars too hot.

Back ground on my car might have a play in this. The owner before me tells me the guy he got it from fucked the tuning up on the car when he tryed to home tune it with a hand held. He says he thinks he got everything back in order on the car now. I think the fans are still set to high tho cuz fan one dosnt kick on till right around were the needle is on both pics. If im idling the temp will drop to half but if im driving hwy speeds like the pic shows then its nailed at that spot no matter what i do. The only time i notice it drop is when i drops gears to a higher RPM.

Im planning to flushing the system to see if this helps any, im not sure what T-stats in it now but im assuming its a 180. I might go ahead and replace it seeing as they dont cost much. Any ideas or tips on how i should go about getting my temps down some. If all elts im goin to hard wire fan 2 to a switch to toggle it when i want.

P.S Pics are blurry cuz i was driving down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Running hot due to fans?-imag0136.jpg   Running hot due to fans?-imag0138.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a cable and get a tune done. If either of them really didn't know what they were doing on the tune they can really F some **** up in there. Mad tuner will do a tune for a good price and all you need is a laptop and an ALDL cable and you can load his tune. Get a cable specific to that car. Just make sure to find out if either of them locked the PCM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

that's about how hot mine runs in the city. On the highway mine runs at 185-190. Did the wiring to and from the relay look clean and unmolested? When I bought mine someone had hot wired the fans permanently on
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Both jay and silver are on the ball. I have a 96 z28 and she ran about the same and higher. Just as you I didn't like it so I went with a electric pump and a 160 therm with a tune. My fan turn on temps were lowered to 170 (#1 fan) and 195 (#2 fan) and now I'm lucky to get past my first fan in traffic, not heavy traffic but traffic. After running her hard and then hitting heavy traffic she rides around 185-200. Never any higher and I live in central texas in a drought/ heat wave
Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Yea im gana try to find a shop in my area to see if they do Obd1 tuning if not ill mail in my PCM for tuning to get all that set. The car its self will run cool but the first fan just isnt turning on till way late.

Silver - yea its all clean looking, i didnt notice anything off the ball wrong with the relays.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

One other question might be a stupid one but dosnt hurt to ask. The car has green coolant in it atm. I was told that the orange coolant is better. Can i do a flush till all the green coolant is 100% out and use Orange coolant in the system? What is recommended for the LT1?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What temp thermostat do you have in the car?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
What temp thermostat do you have in the car?
Im not sure tba but i think its a 180
Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

keep it green. Most people actually convert from orange to green. Orange is the high mileage stuff i beleive. Im not entirely sure why people switch from one to the other, i think green is just cheaper. Either way, it wont change how hot your car runs, BUT you can get it checked to see that it is the correct mixture of water vs coolant. If this mixture is off it will make the coolant less effective and/or it can freeze in winter months.

That being said some people just run straight water in the radiator in the south where it doesnt get below freezing.

I would do what they said, if you want a cool running car then get a 160 t stat, get a tune. But i would get the mixture checked as well with one of the coolant checker thingy ma bobs lol. tests the glycerine or something like that.

edit: and it doesnt matter what t stat is in the car unless the computer has been retuned to make the fans turn on sooner.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanxs everyone for the help and tips. I got a list of stuff ima try here to see if it has any effect. Ima try first a New T-stat with a coolant flush and fresh coolant. Ima stick with green. See what my temp sits at. Then get the PCM retuned and see if that fixs the 2nd fan coming on + cooling it to normal temps. Hopefully gain some more RWhp from it as well

Love this site everyones as always very helpful!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have the air deflector installed? HERE:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14858031-post17.html
Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Ha that's a good one. I saw someone take that off because it was grinding on their driveway. Never know how smart the previous owner was
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

if you have one available, try an aftermarket cooling temp gauge. It could also be that the stock needle isnt working properly. Sometimes my needle hits the red mark and the temp is actually around 200* and when my needle points at the halfway mark (210*), its really at around 185-190*
I noticed that my 2nd fan never kicks in unless i have my ac on. And i have the manual fan switch so i know they do work.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

^ This is a very good question.

It is NOT the fans if it only gets hot at highway speeds.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96SilverZ
Ha that's a good one. I saw someone take that off because it was grinding on their driveway. Never know how smart the previous owner was
Haha When I first got my car, I scraped it on my drive way, kinda steep hill, and looked under the car and was like damn it...I need that lol
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Teching In

i screwed my licence plate into that piece!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Teching In

good idea? havent been pulled over yet. its been 8 months.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys I'm a newbie on this so any help will be highly appreciated . I recently bought a 1994 camaro z28 a4 , when I got the car it looked as if someone took a **** in the radiator so I flushed it best I could with a hose d's that five times and the car got better when the car is driven stays cool even tho I never drive it more ten ten mins due to it not being registered yet . When I run the car in my driveway it will warm up normally then will creep up to 235 and THEN the fans come on and will lower the temp a few degrees and will fluctuate like that untill driven or shut off also the car has a 160 stat help please lol :/
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28akagluemaker
Hey guys I'm a newbie on this so any help will be highly appreciated . I recently bought a 1994 camaro z28 a4 , when I got the car it looked as if someone took a **** in the radiator so I flushed it best I could with a hose d's that five times and the car got better when the car is driven stays cool even tho I never drive it more ten ten mins due to it not being registered yet . When I run the car in my driveway it will warm up normally then will creep up to 235 and THEN the fans come on and will lower the temp a few degrees and will fluctuate like that untill driven or shut off also the car has a 160 stat help please lol :/
Sounds relatively normal, but it should cool down more when the fans are on. Maybe your system needs to be cleaned out. Read about the cooling system.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zlow28
if you have one available, try an aftermarket cooling temp gauge. It could also be that the stock needle isnt working properly. Sometimes my needle hits the red mark and the temp is actually around 200* and when my needle points at the halfway mark (210*), its really at around 185-190*
I noticed that my 2nd fan never kicks in unless i have my ac on. And i have the manual fan switch so i know they do work.
How are you reading those temps?.,, other then the stock gauge. Also how did you do you're manual fan switch notice any big differences in temp?

Quick Reply: Running hot due to fans?