Well I bought this 97 LT1 with the turbo already installed and all that great stuff, I had a ton of fun with it for a while. I had more money than brains and when I went for a ride I just “had to have it”. Sigh. . .
Well finally it happened, something in the transmission broke. Now it’s time to make it mine and I can proudly say “I built this”.
I was “Told” It’s a forged 355 2 bolt main. It has a custom ground cam from comp cams, and a few other goodies I know nothing about. It also recently developed some lifter tick that would not go away even after the valves where adjusted properly.
My budget is flexible for now, I want to build it over time and build it right. There is ALLOT of half assed stuff on this car. I want to buy parts used when I can to save me as much money as possible but we will see how that goes. I want to sell the current turbo piping (hot & cold) to get enough money to pay for the V-Band clamps and some material.
What I plan on doing.
I might take it to the track a few times but this will mainly be a street weekend warrior.
I plan to pull the motor/transmission and front suspension. I will go through the motor and see how it looks and replace any worn parts and/or seals. I was getting a bit of smoke when starting hot after sitting 20/30 minutes.
I would like to get a BMR LT1 K-member, with a new rack & pinion. I’m not too sure what rack I should get. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I want to ditch the power steering.
If I read the turbo right it looks like it’s a small 67mm turbo. . . My power goals are around 600RWP. I was told by the PO that he dyno’d at 597RWP @ 15PSI with the current setup on E85. I plan to keep the RPM no more than 6k in an attempt to make the motor last. From the looks of it the PO was spinning it up to 7k as that is when the shift light comes on.
This car was OBD II but has been converted to the OBD I computer. I plan to stick with that for now. I purchased an OBD 1 cable from OBD Diagnostics, Inc with the 16 pin connector. I never was able to get it to read anything. It sat at “reading PCM” and never loaded anything, I let it sit for an hour once and still nothing. Tried a few different programs and still nothing.
I’m still on the wall about removing the AC and heater. I could care less about a few tenths at the track, but the room it leaves under the hood would be nice. If I did remove it I would then pull the entire interior and strip as much weight out as possible, basically go all out or not at all. I would have carpet a hollowed out dash and 2 light weight seats that is all.
The work begins this weekend hopefully. I’m sure I’ll be asking a bunch of questions
On the jack ready for work!
The rain is keeping me from working on the damn car. The washes where running and my damn carport turned to mud. . .