LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pulling the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling the tranny

so i blew it to pieces so im pulling it on tuesday and having it rebuilt, any good places on long island that anybody knows of and i know these trannys have lots of problems so does anyone have a specific kit or parts i should go with? btw its a 94 z28...

also was looking to get a decent tune done so if theres any long islanders out there message me im a little new to the muscle thing (ive been a rotary and dsm guy for a while)
Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

IMO you should ship it to RPM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This tranny does NOT need special parts it needs a competent assembler and those are far and few between. You wouldn't believe how many stock parts are in my nearly 8yo 4L60E, heavy car making more than average power and it holds up great.

They have problems because factory tolerances were broad, they were setup to shift grannylike and raging incompetents like to tell folks it is the trannies fault instead of their own when they build them badly.

A few key phrases and suggestions to run from would be things like kevlar, blocked accumulation, billet servos(on anything but a big power car), 13-vane pump in a 10-vane tranny. Claims that a 5-pinion planetary is necessary should be considered suspicious at least, the 4-pinion from this era of 4L60/4L60E was never weak when GM made a cheaper manufacturing decision to do 5 powdered metal pinions instead of the 4 FORGED everyone jumped on the bandwagon for no good reason. Good builders know the 4-pinion wasn't a problem but might still offer a GM specifically 5-pinion as an option. The blind will to have 5-pinion spawned cheap junk chinese knockoffs which are much weaker and troublesome.
They might suggest a BEAST sunshell, they are decent but unbalanced, still have a stocker in my car, long as the shift firmess is set appropriately they are usually just fine. If you want or get neck snapping shifts it will break things, quick shifts are what is needed.

Far as a tune I believe one of the guys from pcmperformance (add a dot com to that) lives in Long Island.

Far as who to do the tranny work maybe contact the Long Island Impala SS club and see who they recommend. I like the guy that did mine but I shipped the tranny to California to have it done right after a local completely botched it.

Quick Reply: pulling the tranny