LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just finished my first engine romoval out the bottom

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just finished my first engine romoval out the bottom

Never will I ever go that route again by myself, and I have a lift. If I have to do another by myself I will def do it out the top.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Care to explain what went so horribly wrong? My guess is you did something wrong, didn't have the right tools, or didn't have enough information to help you along the way. I know at least 5 people who have done both who prefer out-the-bottom over out-the-top.

Also, if this was your first ever engine removal and you have no experience pulling it out the top, then how do you know out the top would be easier?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

No man not my first I have a 96 TA that I removed and built out the top. Really and truley I went about it without doing much research, the car I pulled it out of I am trading the labor on removing the engine and tranny for the body to start another project. Like I said probably never by myself again but if someone else come along to help with experiece maybe. Any tips you would like to share I will surely take notes on.

Andrew
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

putting it back in will suck 10 times more

edit: ah you posted saying it wont be going back in. I was just going off of the known fact its easier to take something apart then put it back together lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you wing it? Or did you follow a guide, like this: http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I have read that before but its been a while. Pretty much winged it, I didn't have any real hang ups just seemed like a lot of work and now I have to go put the kmember back in to get it of my lift. I guess some of it has to do with having an engine and tranny hanging in the air and taking all the other stuff a loose just to remove an engine. Hell maybe I'm just grumpy right now but as of know I would rather go out the top.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Truthfully you set yourself up for failure by not doing your homework. In terms of general automotive practices removing an engine from the bottom is fairly uncommon and is often approached with a bit of skepticism. If you aren't familiar with it during the process it is easy to throw in the towel because you're simply too uninformed to get the job done in the potential timeframe the out-the-bottom method allows.

Better luck next time I suppose!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Yea your definatly right I should have atleast refreshed myself before I started, any way I wish I had the cash to just buy yours but down here in Bama it seems we are all broke lol, the car I pulled the engine and tranny out of started out life almost identical to yours a green 95 TA but has been wrecked in the past and the rear was fixed with firebird parts so the guy that had it was going to part it and scrap it so I figured what the hell whats another project, but anyways thanks for the post.
Andrew
Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
8 Second Club

Honestly I've dropped mine out the bottom 3 times so far. I've found that a short strap in the cherry picker and a 1000lb dolly are really the only specialized things you need. I took more time to disconnect everything than to actually drop the motor.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Ive done it both ways and prefer pulling it from the top. If Im pulling it that means the motor is usually coming apart anyways and with the space I have to work its easier to just pull the motor.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Lol pulling motors, there is no homework. Not hard to **** something that easy up. I agree, out the bottom is a bitch first time I did it. I still prefer out the top.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think dropping it out the bottom takes more work and space. I guess its all in what you get used to. I prefer out the top.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whyrun
I think dropping it out the bottom takes more work and space.
That could just boil down to patience and experience. I just dropped mine out the bottom in my tiny garage with a cherry picker. Granted it's my 3rd time dropping an LT1 out the bottom, and I can see it being harder if you don't know what you're doing. Whatever works better for you though.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

It's like sex. Some like it on top, others like it IN the bottom. lmao sorry couldn't help it. For me it the fact that they don't build a freaking multicar garage in Florida where I buy deep enough to put the car and the whole frontend in. I could put it next to it but that’s my work space. And the other bay is the wifey's. It gets thrown out if it enters that space. As proven by the missing connecting rods and pistons from an old gen 1 small block I had. (Perfect shape) It gets rather comical.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Ive pulled them out of the top countless times and out the bottom a couple of times. If you don;t have a lift it is dangerout IMO to drop it out the bottom. Ive made some plates that bolt on the 2 center exhaust bolt holes on the head and it isnt to bad. Plus there is less mess when out the top due to not breaking open the brake system. And like said, if you have to put it back togather to get it off the lift before you ban reinstall the engine, that just sux.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

I still hate brake systems and I removed my ABS.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the trans have to come out with the engine, when pulling out the top?

I kinda looked down there yesterday, and it doesn't seem like the bolts that mate the engine and trans are accessible.

I'm working on pulling out the bottom right now, but I do have limited space, so that makes me wonder.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

the bolts are accessible.. support *** end of tranny, drop tranny mount, lower tranny *** untill its off the jack.. take out top bolts, jack tranny back up, remove rest of bolts... too easy. need about 6 long extensions and a good swivel and it is a cake walk.... Ive got air tools so its super easy to do...
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
the bolts are accessible.. support *** end of tranny, drop tranny mount, lower tranny *** untill its off the jack.. take out top bolts, jack tranny back up, remove rest of bolts... too easy. need about 6 long extensions and a good swivel and it is a cake walk.... Ive got air tools so its super easy to do...
You can leave the tranny mount installed and get in front of the engine(of coarse you have the radiator/condensor removed) Then lay on top of the motor and reach behind it. YOu can remove the top 2 bolts in no time.

Quick Reply: Just finished my first engine romoval out the bottom