LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where are you guys mounting crank trigger pick-ups?? Where should I put the 0'magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where are you guys mounting crank trigger pick-ups?? Where should I put the 0'magnet?

Going with an msd crank trigger pickup kit but have never mounted one. Where are those of you running the flying magnet mounting it? I obviously don't have an opti.

I am ordering the ATI damper shell with magnets in it but don't know where I should place the magnets in relation to tdc etc? This is a corvette lt4 so my damper/pulley are one piece.

Thoughts? This is running a gen 7 dfi standalone.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Going with an msd crank trigger pickup kit but have never mounted one. Where are those of you running the flying magnet mounting it? I obviously don't have an opti.

I am ordering the ATI damper shell with magnets in it but don't know where I should place the magnets in relation to tdc etc? This is a corvette lt4 so my damper/pulley are one piece.

Thoughts? This is running a gen 7 dfi standalone.
i got ya on this one haha..........you need to figure out what you are going to run for max timing adjustability so lets say you will never go over 40* of advance......(which you shouldn't lol)........the ECM needs 10* of rotation for processing so that is 50*......so find TDC and roll the motor over to 50* BTDC.......at that point line up the pickup with any one of the 4 magnets on the wheel.....lock it down and ur done with the physical setup......then go in the ECM and tell it that the trigger is set at 50*BTDC and you should be good to go..........heres how i mounted mine.......

Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine. I run a locked distributor.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Looks like you both have different accessories than me. Is that a custom bracket/plate that mounts the ps or vaccum pump down low on the right? In a Y body there isnt anything down there on that side. ANy ideas on where I can mount the pickup without having such a bracket?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

The bolt holes used on both of those setups are on the stock block or at least one of them is. The reluctor wheel looks to be bolted to the out side of the damper with longer bolts through to the hub. Once you mock up the Wheel on the damper you should be able to mount the pickup bracket using the bolt holes on the block and just space to where it needs to be. I think the trick to the reluctor wheel mounting is going to be using an ATI or some damper that is flush so you don’t bend or deflect the reluctor wheel when you torque it all down.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
The bolt holes used on both of those setups are on the stock block or at least one of them is. The reluctor wheel looks to be bolted to the out side of the damper with longer bolts through to the hub. Once you mock up the Wheel on the damper you should be able to mount the pickup bracket using the bolt holes on the block and just space to where it needs to be. I think the trick to the reluctor wheel mounting is going to be using an ATI or some damper that is flush so you don’t bend or deflect the reluctor wheel when you torque it all down.
kind of..........on my setup i made my own bracket on the right side for the vacuum pump.....the pump and the msd trigger bracket are both mounted to the two bolts on the bottom of the block in that position. Also as for the trigger wheel.....on mine i put the wheel in the lathe and opened up the opening to fit my pump mandrel through....then i just simply bolted up to the ATI SuperDamper using the supplied bolts from ATI and the exisiting bolt holes.......it was fairly straight forward.........i also made a aluminum shim to move out the crank trigger pickp because it didn't line up correctly..........all in all it wasn't too bad at all............i also trimmed off the bottom of the bracket because when i used to have a sway bar it hit it..........

Quick Reply: Where are you guys mounting crank trigger pick-ups?? Where should I put the 0'magnet?