LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 T/A freshly rebuilt AC system keeps shutting down.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 95 T/A freshly rebuilt AC system keeps shutting down.

i had my AC system rebuilt for the second time about a month ago (first time was in 05) and counting the original compressor i'm on number 5 due to 2 defective ones including the one the shop put in a month ago that they had to replace that same day...

anyway, here's my problem. The AC worked fine for a month or so and then last saturday the AC wasnt working and the compressor wasn't kicking on. i took it to the shop and they were having trouble getting power to the compressor. they said it wasn't getting power and thought there was an electrical problem and looked at a bunch of stuff and changed a fuse and it still wouldn't come on. i told them to check the computer and they finallly did and were able to reset it and the AC worked. they then added some more 134 to the system because it said it was low. the AC worked fine for the rest of that day. i hadn't driven the car since then and when i got into it today, the AC was dead again. the compressor again is not kicking on. i tried disconnecting the battery for 5 mins and nothing...

i went back to the shop without calling and they were too busy to look at it so i made an appointment for tomorrow morning. what could be causing the AC system to keep shutting down like that? i'm thinking a defective compressor but they said it wasn't leaking at all. could the compressor be blowing a fuse or doing something that would cause the computer to shut the AC off? i seem to recall them saying they had changed a blown fuse and the AC still didn't work and only after they reset the computer after changing the blown fuse did the compressor kick on.

i'd like to know what to suggest to them since this is hopefully warrenty related (they didn't charge me for the saturday trip) i have a 2 year warrenty on the compressor and i'm assuming the same or at least 12 months on the labor.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like freon is leaking out and then the compressor is not turning on. If they did not put the correct amount of oil into the system then it might be causing failure. Also the drier must be replaced everytime a compressor fails as well as a full system flush. Unless its a clutch issue.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Sounds like freon is leaking out and then the compressor is not turning on. If they did not put the correct amount of oil into the system then it might be causing failure. Also the drier must be replaced everytime a compressor fails as well as a full system flush. Unless its a clutch issue.
they changed everything but the condenser. the condenser was only ~ 5 years old. at least i think it was the condensor that wasn't changed. that's the little radiator looking thing right?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

could the compressor be defective and cause the fuse to blow? i keep reading that online which seems like the most likely problem.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand compressors are they using?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

No idea. I know they gave me a 2 year warrenty and said most compressors only have 1.

I know when they installed the first compressor they found metal shavings in the system and had to go find a second compressor.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Metel in the system? Then the compressor,drier need replaced and the entire system needs flushed out. Sounds to me like they did not flush it out good enough and is causing another compressor failure. Condencer should be either cleaned d her well or replaced.as.well. metro will kill ac systems very quick
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Condensors are prime culprits for leaks. They sit in front of the radiator and take a variety of abuse from rocks, bugs, sticks, whatever flies up at them. Have them charge the system with dye and take a good look at the condensor.

I'm with ^ too. They should have flushed the whole system, those shavings will eat a compressor alive
Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Metel in the system? Then the compressor,drier need replaced and the entire system needs flushed out. Sounds to me like they did not flush it out good enough and is causing another compressor failure. Condencer should be either cleaned d her well or replaced.as.well. metro will kill ac systems very quick
they did flush the system, twice. once when they changed comp #1 and once when they put in comp # 2 after they discovered the problem with comp #1. the condensor is ~ 5 years old and looked fine (according to them). i just got back and i was low on refrigerant again. they added ~ 2.5lbs and dye and told me to drive it for a day or 2 and then bring it back and they could find the leak. at least so far, i haven't had to pay any extra money. we'll see what the culprit is. they mentioned the evaporator core under the dash as a possible leak? i guess the dye will tell the tale.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

2.5 lbs is to much
Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Tell them to add Dye to the system and see if it's leaking somewhere other then the compressor. If they use those Four Season POS then that may explain it. Had a 2 year old 4 seasons on my tahoe and it died. Had my former GM tech look at it and tell me those compressors only last 3 to 5 years. He got me a GM compressor at cost for $250.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Tell them to add Dye to the system and see if it's leaking somewhere other then the compressor. If they use those Four Season POS then that may explain it. Had a 2 year old 4 seasons on my tahoe and it died. Had my former GM tech look at it and tell me those compressors only last 3 to 5 years. He got me a GM compressor at cost for $250.
they did add dye to the system, as for the compressor, i believe the kit (compressor, drier, etc) was ~ $600
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

600 should not be a cheap compressor. Sounds to me there lacking experiance is the proper way to repair and reharge the system. 2.5 lbs of dye is WAY to much. The system does not even take 2.5 lbs of freon
Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

600 should not be a cheap compressor. Sounds to me there lacking experiance is the proper way to repair and reharge the system. 2.5 lbs of dye is WAY to much. The system does not even take 2.5 lbs of freon
i thought he said 2.5, maybe it was less. i do know he said my system was almost empty. which means its got a big leak if it was topped off 4 days earlier and i drove the car maybe 30 miles in that time.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Launching!

How do you flush the AC?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Do you see DYe anywhere? did you look around the clutch of the compressor?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some dyes only show with the light and lens. Im going to guess the regards pinched a o ring and there goes the o zone.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brettmc
How do you flush the AC?
don't they run stuff through the lines to clean out the syatem? i always hear of shops doing that when you install a new compressor/dryer. as for the dye, they didn't see much, but the front of the compressor was wet. i thought i saw some liquid on the pass side shock tower which i thought was coolant since i first saw it last week but now i'm thinking that was refrigerant and the fact i lost a cooling hose later that night was coincidental.

as for today. I'm now on the 4th compressor from the shop (well technically 3, since the first was never installed) which makes no 7 overall counting the original one, the 1 month dud from 06, the one that lasted 5 years, and these 4.

they installed a new one today and upon turning the AC on, it made an aweful grinding noise. apparently the clutch was bad on a brand new comprssor. I could hear it and was outside (they had just backed the car out and heard that sound and had hod open) and i could see the mechanic was getting frustrated. I would be too if i was given a brand spanking new defective part. One of the counter guys said he normally uses that brand of compressor in his own cars but after this is probably going to switch. they said they might change out the clutch for a better quality one but they ended up getting a higher end compressor and didn't charge me the difference on it since i had to come back several times.

Hopefully this new AC compressor stays working and my AC blows ice cold for years to come. they said it's running around 50 degrees out of the vents right now. to those who say i don't need AC since it's almost october, it's 87 with 75% humidity down here right now, lol.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would be demanding a Factory replacement compressor at this point. The blaming parts and all that non sense and not having my car or ac when i have already paid would be enough to raise a little hell. I have never seen 3 bad compressors in a row. im starting to think they started to put shitty compressors in there to recoup some money. At this point there loosing there asses and know it. either the system is still contaminated or there doing something wrong. maybe insuficant oil in the system? Storys like this anger me being a Tech, do the job right the first time with a quality part, tell the customer what there buying and if the customer does not have the money for a factory part explain the diffrence in quality.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
to those who say i don't need AC since it's almost october, it's 87 with 75% humidity down here right now, lol.
Well It's a quality issue so holding there feet to the coals is what will force them to not just use cheap crap and do the jobs over and over every year and charging the customer each time. It will make them think about the parts they use. A guy I know here has is own shop and he will only use what he knows will last because once you have paid him to fix it, even if the part fails he will replace the defective part and not charge you labor again.With in reasonable time frame though. Very rare to see that and it does cause him some hard ships but he is a good guy and a former GM master tech. hope it last for you this time.

Quick Reply: 95 T/A freshly rebuilt AC system keeps shutting down.