LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trend PR's arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Trend PR's arrived today

Got my Trend PR's in the mail today, a few days earlier then expected. They were ordered on the 12th, and I got them today on the 22nd. 8 business days is not too bad for custom order pushrods. Their customer service was great.

They are 3/8" .135 walled with 210 5/16 ends, 8.130" long. Here is one next to a ballpoint pen for reference - they are toddler fingers .

Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beefy! So does that mean the heads are on the motor already?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Those are some long pushrods! Are you sure you don't have a big-block? LOL. I ordered mine from Trend as well. Great company to deal with. I got mine in 3 days though! Those things must weigh a lot!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Beefy! So does that mean the heads are on the motor already?
They were mocked up to measure PR length and test PTV then removed, and but I haven't gotten to install them properly yet.

3 of the head bolts on each side need the springs to be removed first, and I've been procrastinating because of that. Having to pull springs to install head bolts, what a PITA huh?

Originally Posted by joelster
Those are some long pushrods! Are you sure you don't have a big-block? LOL. I ordered mine from Trend as well. Great company to deal with. I got mine in 3 days though! Those things must weigh a lot!
The valves and springs are pretty long and the shaft mount pedestals are tall. The length is one of the reason they are .135...if they were shorter I probably could have gotten away with a lighter thinner wall. They weigh a ton! I'll trade more lobe side weight for stability any day though...

I am way down in FL and mine were custom length, so I had to wait for them to machine them then ship them literally across the country.

Tuesday if my day off so I'll try to install the heads/intake and set lash. I am going to run the taller port LT4 race intake gaskets for now, but have an idea for that as well that I will be testing once its together .
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Take a grinder to the head bolts in question. Some of them flare out to the mating surface too wide. If you install them then put the springs on, the springs might bind up if they make contact with the bolt. I had to grind one of the washers down and slightly grind on one of the nuts for the nut to be threaded on the stud in the centermost bolt.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Take a grinder to the head bolts in question. Some of them flare out to the mating surface too wide. If you install them then put the springs on, the springs might bind up if they make contact with the bolt. I had to grind one of the washers down and slightly grind on one of the nuts for the nut to be threaded on the stud in the centermost bolt.
The bolts don't physically fit between the springs since they are so wide. Its not the height of the bolt head, but the diameter of it...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
The bolts don't physically fit between the springs since they are so wide. Its not the height of the bolt head, but the diameter of it...
I know. Try running a stud with a 1/2" 12 point nut. It will still need to be trimmed down a bit.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
ugh that sucksssss what OD diameter spring are you running......glad to hear your getting close though!!!!

I know. Try running a stud with a 1/2" 12 point nut. It will still need to be trimmed down a bit.
what the hell are you guys running for bolts/studs and springs?? lol mine were close but they fit and i ran the same head stud kit you did from arp.......
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
ugh that sucksssss what OD diameter spring are you running......glad to hear your getting close though!!!!

what the hell are you guys running for bolts/studs and springs?? lol mine were close but they fit and i ran the same head stud kit you did from arp.......
Ill Mic the OD when I get home, they are pretty beefy. The bolts are normal felpro, but I may look into a stud kit.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
ugh that sucksssss what OD diameter spring are you running
They are 1.55" OD.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Mine are 1.550" od as well.

This is what I did to the center washers:

Then I just put the nut onto an extra stud and ran it over a grinder for a minute to make the flared out section a shade narrower. Fits like a charm.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine are 1.550" od as well.

This is what I did to the center washers:

Then I just put the nut onto an extra stud and ran it over a grinder for a minute to make the flared out section a shade narrower. Fits like a charm.
Do you have the PN for the stud kit you used? I'm not sure if the heads on the felpro head bolts will fit even if I grind the flared part. I haven't looked at it all together in a while tho so ill have to take a second look and see what my options are.

If I can find something I can use without pulling the springs to install the heads then I wouldn't mind spending a little more for that ease of assembly - if I end up having to pull the heads later for a gasket or something ill be glad I did.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

The stud kit came loose in a box when I bought the shortblock so I don't have a part number. I did a quick search on summitracing and found this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-234-4301/

That looks to be the exact kit. Keep in mind that I didn't use the top row of studs. I had to purchase a bolt kit as well since the studs can't be used where the shaft rocker mounting base attaches to the cylinder head. Use teflon tape and a small dab of sealant when you use these studs. I had 3 of them weep coolant on me at the shootout. I took them out and used teflon tape and a dab of liquid and haven't had a problem since. 2 people at the shootout told me it's common to have ARP studs leak. I did a google search and found that people have sucess with the tape moreso than the liquid. If I get some ambition this winter I will redo all of them.

Just so you know you can purchase studs individually. You don't have to buy the entire kit. Maybe you will only need 2 of them for the center bolts.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Just checked everything and it looks like i will be fine just trimming the flare off of 3 of the bolts on each side. Not going to bother with the studs.

Thanks for the info though guys .
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

If it doesn't work let me know. I have extra studs sitting here with washers and nuts. I can modify them and ship them out to you, just repay me the shipping cost.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

If it doesn't work let me know. I have extra studs sitting here with washers and nuts. I can modify them and ship them out to you, just repay me the shipping cost.
Thanks, hoping to get some work done on Tuesday on it and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm thinking I wont need them, but if i do I'll let you know - thanks a bunch for the offer either way.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

The stud kit came loose in a box when I bought the shortblock so I don't have a part number. I did a quick search on summitracing and found this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-234-4301/

That looks to be the exact kit. Keep in mind that I didn't use the top row of studs. I had to purchase a bolt kit as well since the studs can't be used where the shaft rocker mounting base attaches to the cylinder head. Use teflon tape and a small dab of sealant when you use these studs. I had 3 of them weep coolant on me at the shootout. I took them out and used teflon tape and a dab of liquid and haven't had a problem since. 2 people at the shootout told me it's common to have ARP studs leak. I did a google search and found that people have sucess with the tape moreso than the liquid. If I get some ambition this winter I will redo all of them.

Just so you know you can purchase studs individually. You don't have to buy the entire kit. Maybe you will only need 2 of them for the center bolts.
i run the same ones joel......same deal for me the top row are the jesel bolts because they go under the shaft.......i brakekleen my studs and threads before installing and use some black rtv on the threads and i havent had any leaking issues......you shouldn't need the tape......just gotta make sure the bolt is perfectly oil free before install or the silicone wont stick.......thats usually the problem........i remember i did trim a couple of washers to fit but they did clear my springs.......the spring i run is only a 1.46" OD though.........you guys are running some big *** springs lol
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

What head bolts are you using? I am running a 1.55" spring with an ARP 1/2" heat bolt and I only had to grind two of the washers.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
What head bolts are you using? I am running a 1.55" spring with an ARP 1/2" heat bolt and I only had to grind two of the washers.
They are the plain SBC Felpro ES72856 P/N. I used them on my last setup without any issue, but with a beefier valvetrain, aftermarket heads, and shaft mounts things are quite a bit different. It looks like the middle and both ends will need to be clearanced, both the washers(that I still haven't relocated yet, they might have ended up in the box with my supervic) and the flared heads of the bolts.

Hoping to have the physical motor fully assembled tomorrow w/ intake and everything, then its just 3 main things left - fuel lines+AFPR, damper, and the expensive part...whatever computer/harness I go with. Still tossing around between the badass 24x setup or a much cheaper junkyard Vortec 411 setup. Will probably go 24x and pickup a good condition harness to repin myself for ease of setup - it looks like a killer kit.

At this point I'll probably miss the good weather...we only get like 3 cool months down here(which haven't started yet, its still 90*) then its hot as ***** again.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
man u guys are all running big *** springs lol.....

Quick Reply: Trend PR's arrived today