LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A little more progress on GTP AFR/LE SR 383

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A little more progress on GTP AFR/LE SR 383

Was able to get a little bit done today on my day off, although not as much as I would have liked.

The bottom end is completely buttoned up with the Canton oil pan, with the proper pickup clearance measured.

On the top side, I got my heads installed but couldn't put on the intake because the damn container my lifters were in somehow ended up opened, so all the mineral spirits evaporated and my brand new Endure-x HIPPOs are all dirty. I'll give them a rinse with some more spirits tomorrow, then soak them in oil and install them this weekend. For the intake, I got my Felpro 1206 SBC race gaskets in but was not able to assemble everything yet because of the lifter setback. It matches pretty good with my ported AFR 220s out of the box, and I trimmed them a TINY bit to be more uniform with the huge ports on my heads. To use on normal LT1/4 heads you need to poke some new bolt holes in and ignore the end water ports, since they are SBC style. This is them out of the box - not too bad. Its a bit more difficult then you'd expect to find intake gaskets for these heads...the ports are very tall.

I had a problem with the head bolts not fitting between the springs that I talked about in my last thread, but I took a dremel to the flared bottoms of the heads and got enough clearance to get them through without binding on the springs. It was the middle and far end bolts that needed it.

Hopefully my Cantons will fit with my 1.7 shaftmounts, if not they will be for sale so I can get some fabricated perimeter bolt VCs like the sick looking Moroso pieces. the heads are already modded to accept both perimeter or centerbolt VCs, but I'd rather not spend the money if i don't have to.

I got caught up with other errands so couldn't work on it as much as I wanted to, but am that much closer.

Last edited by Puck; 09-27-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, man. Keep it up!

PM me if those VC go up for sale
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great, when do you think it will be running?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

How about throwing Craig a little credit there, dingus. Those ports look snazzy. Would the LT4 12367777 gaskets work? They might accommodate those ports a little better.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Looks good, man. Keep it up!

PM me if those VC go up for sale
Thanks, will do. If I do have to sell em, they'll be cheap - not trying to make a killing, just passing on good parts.

Originally Posted by transbird95
Looks great, when do you think it will be running?
Its hard to tell. I still need some braided fuel line, an AFPR, a damper, a harness, and a computer system just to get it moving. After that I need a dyno tune, stall, stronger tranny, and rear end before I can go to the track. So close yet so far! .

Originally Posted by SS RRR
How about throwing Craig a little credit there, dingus. Those ports look snazzy.
Damn, how could I forget . Edited title. Craig is the MAN, these heads are beautiful. My machinist does a good chunk of the race stuff in central FL for multiple speed shops and said they were some of the nicest valve jobs he has seen.

Honestly everyone I've worked with has been a ton of help, even Tony Mamo and Craig have been very polite and eager to help even though I didn't buy any parts directly from them.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

hey, even better, lol.

Do you have a pic of the car, that this engine is going in?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Would the LT4 12367777 gaskets work? They might accommodate those ports a little better.
The "offroad" LT4 gaskets are closer then the stock LT4 ones, but still not quite right for the larger AFR heads. The 1206 is almost perfect, but is an SBC gasket so is not quite drop-in on stock reverse cooled heads. AFR makes a specific one for LT's, but it is more expensive and I didn't want to wait for shipping. I was able to get these local, since being SBC instead of LT they are a lot more common. The heads have been drilled and tapped for SBC intakes already so it was easier and cheaper for me to just use the SBC gaskets.

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Do you have a pic of the car, that this engine is going in?
She's not much to look at - was my daily driver for 5 years or so. Medium Patriot red 93 z28 with a mismatched white 3" cowl and blacked out lights. She needs a paint job pretty bad after sitting for so long...going with bright obnoxious "Passion Red" w/ black racing stripes like my Kawi .
Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

keep hammering bud!!! you're getting there
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Looks good. I can't wait to see it all come together sounds like a very respectable build.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant wait to **** u up at the next Shootout! JK looks and sounds like a great build. Ive been waiting for this one for years!

Quick Reply: A little more progress on GTP AFR/LE SR 383