LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rough idle at times, stumble @4500+, oil gauge bouncing around. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rough idle at times, stumble @4500+, oil gauge bouncing around. Ideas?

Noticed this over the last couple days. Couple times in the afternoon after work, start up the car, and going through the parking lot it's idling really low, around 600-800 and stumbling when it's normally at a nice 1000-1100 rumble. At times when it does this, the SES light pops on briefly.

On the highway and get on it a little, it starts to break up and stumble around 4500 RPM. If I put it in neutral and rev, I can rev fine to 6000+ and it doesn't seem like it's stumbling.

I noticed when I pulled off the highway, my oil PSI gauge is bouncing around a bit, sitting around 30 PSI, bouncing up to 50ish, holding, falling back etc. I don't recall it acting like that normally.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything that would cause these symptoms and what I should look for.

I have a factory ~70K mile I believe opti w/ a Delteq ignition, and new Lingenfelter pump.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the service engine light came on you may be able to scan it and get a code to help figure this out. Never hurts to scan it and see what in there. Some times a code will be in there and not cause the light to stay on constant.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I could do that. I think I read at one point that some codes are stored for a certain amount of power cycles even if the condition is gone. Is there a way to clear those out to see if they return?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can clear them. There stored codes and any active code will pop a light. Clear reset and test drive to see what you get of anything. Could be a loose coil to a bad ground.

Quick Reply: Rough idle at times, stumble @4500+, oil gauge bouncing around. Ideas?