LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions

Just a few questions for a newbie when it comes to the LT1. In regards to upgradability and efficiency, which is a better system for the LT1? Keep in mind tuning is no concern for me, because I have a relativaly cheap source to program the PCM. Is OBD I or OBD II better for the LT1?

Also, IIRC I read somewhere that a stock B-body LT1 redlines at about 5600 RPM mainly due to the rockers. What all do I need to do to the b-body LT1 to get it to go a little higher in the RPM range? And I'm not talking anything crazy like 7000 rpm, but between 6000-6200 or so would be nice.

Lastly, with full bolt ons (headers, 1.6 RR's, airfoil, 52mm TB, etc) what kinda of HP can I see from a b-body LT1? I know they are stock good for 260, but I'd REALLY like to see at least 300 from this engine if possible without totally tearing into it.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam determines rpm range. You can spin it more but it's not going to make any more power at 6200. full bolt-on's and tune should get you close to 300 but I don't know about changing the rockers on stock springs. That would be a good question for someone who has done it. Headers, CAI, exhaust, TB coolant Bypass, tune and a stall if you have an auto are great mods for these cars. OBD1 is easier to tune and to run data logs on. There are free data logging software and tune software for OBD1. OBD2 is expensive and PITA impo
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Cam determines rpm range. You can spin it more but it's not going to make any more power at 6200. full bolt-on's and tune should get you close to 300 but I don't know about changing the rockers on stock springs. That would be a good question for someone who has done it. Headers, CAI, exhaust, TB coolant Bypass, tune and a stall if you have an auto are great mods for these cars. OBD1 is easier to tune and to run data logs on. There are free data logging software and tune software for OBD1. OBD2 is expensive and PITA impo
I just could have sworn someone mentioned in an article somewhere that upgrading to roller rockers (and yes, I would upgrade the valves as well) allowed for a slightly higher RPM before redline. Plus, I'm also pretty sure I read on a thread somewhere that the RR and valve upgrade gives a good few horsepower. As for OBD I vs II, I will be the first to admit that I love my '91 Cherokee with OBD I. Seems as simple as it gets, however I'm not sure the same can be said for efficiency. Plus, I would think OBD II does a better job at watching engine operations. Then again, I could easily be wrong.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions