LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Borla ProXS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Borla ProXS...

Wth is up with mine? I recently bought this off of summit (Here) because my Hooker maxflow is rattling like crazy! The price was right and with free shipping to boot, i figured i couldnt go wrong. I got it in the other day and i noticed that something didnt look quite right. Its a 3" in and out muffler and it indeed fits a 3" pipe but where the flange on the muffler enters into the body it is squeezed in on both sides as illustrated.

You can visually see how much smaller it gets! If you look at the link it doesnt show it collapsing like that. Im worried that its going to restrict my engine to much. Has anyone seen this before?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like a 2 1/2" muffler with 3" ends. And yes I'd worry about the restriction also. Measure the id of the perforated tube and see if it's 3", could be an illusion. I run a 2 1/2" X pipe through 4 Magnaflows myself.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Measure the id of the perforated tube and see if it's 3", could be an illusion. I run a 2 1/2" X pipe through 4 Magnaflows myself.
This is definitely not an illusion lol it is considerably smaller. im not 100% sure of the size. but 3" it is not. It pisses me off that i bought this muffler just for it to be like this. I need for it to be 3" straight through... not anything else. I guess thats why it was only $100......

Does anyone else have any similar issues with there borla?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought Borla and i love it sound is amazing when I actually run it threw my mufflers most of the time I have my cutout open
Old 10-09-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Luke1996ta
I bought Borla and i love it sound is amazing when I actually run it threw my mufflers most of the time I have my cutout open
Ok, but did your muffler taper down like that?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Launching!

it looks like it tapers down in the picture to me. Might just be the shadow tho
Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id still measure it with something. The ends on the muffler are going to be bigger because its made to fit around a 3" inside diameter pipe. I bet where it necks down is still 3 inches.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shix
it looks like it tapers down in the picture to me. Might just be the shadow tho
Nope. there isnt any shadow.

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Id still measure it with something. The ends on the muffler are going to be bigger because its made to fit around a 3" inside diameter pipe. I bet where it necks down is still 3 inches.
I was hoping that aswell but i knew it wasnt. and heres some proof.

The outside is perfect, but the inside IS AT BEST 2.5"..... IDK WTF Borla is thinking! im really pissed off. I dont want to send it back, i need it. However i cant put this muffler in and expect my engine to flow properly. Ill be running a cutout soon but still. That muffler would most like rob lots of power..
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There have been numerous dyno tests with these mufflers and they dont lose power so I would say your concerns are unfounded. I will be using them in my true dual setup.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gregrob
There have been numerous dyno tests with these mufflers and they dont lose power so I would say your concerns are unfounded. I will be using them in my true dual setup.
Thats why it bothered me. Im very **** when it comes to exhausts. This was just a concern of mine that i wanted to get some feedback on
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
I wouldn't hesitate to throw a pair on a dual setup, but on a single 3" system it's going to be a restriction.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Called up Borla today and talked to a sales rep. He said that they were having issues with the bending of a 3" pipe for the inside which is why they used 2.5". However. This problem should of been remedied already. the sales rep said that he is going to look for one that will work for me and swap it out at no cost to me.. so far so good with Borla customer service
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Update: Contacted Borla and the sales rep Dom Helped me out a great deal. He found the same muffler with a 3" core and already sent it out to me Ill update again when i get the new muffler
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Dude call Summit and raise hell. They're customer service is incredible, they will take care of you and get you the right muffler. You won't even have to pay to ship it back to them. I love summit.

I have gone through 4 ******* 58mm Holley throttle bodies from Summit (not their fault) because each one I get has play in the lever/linkage/throttle blades. It's bad enough where it will affect the idle of the car by 2-300 RPM. Each one they send me has the same issue. The last one they sent was actually missing the idle set screw all together LOL! Holley must have really horribly quality control if there is any at all. The last one was supposed to have been hand checked by the guys at the Holley factory and it was missing the damn idle screw rofl. Anyway Summit has not only swapped the throttle body 4 times for me but has payed shipping both ways every time. I can't say enough about how good their customer service is.

End rant.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
Dude call Summit and raise hell. They're customer service is incredible, they will take care of you and get you the right muffler. You won't even have to pay to ship it back to them. I love summit.

I have gone through 4 ******* 58mm Holley throttle bodies from Summit (not their fault) because each one I get has play in the lever/linkage/throttle blades. It's bad enough where it will affect the idle of the car by 2-300 RPM. Each one they send me has the same issue. The last one they sent was actually missing the idle set screw all together LOL! Holley must have really horribly quality control if there is any at all. The last one was supposed to have been hand checked by the guys at the Holley factory and it was missing the damn idle screw rofl. Anyway Summit has not only swapped the throttle body 4 times for me but has payed shipping both ways every time. I can't say enough about how good their customer service is.

End rant.
I couldnt agree more summit is truely incredible when it comes to customer service! But this is a gripe that i wanted to strike at the heart of the issue... At Borla.. Ill find out how well it worked out when i receive the new muffler. The sales rep sale that after i get it and i approve of it that theyll send for a pick up. So far Borla is A+
Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

UPDATE:Borla just sent me alittle something for all my trouble.

3" Everywhere! Completely satisfied and happy with borla for Everything! The quality of there part is fantastic and there customer service is unparalleled... Couldnt be happier!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sound clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
Sound clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IDK when ill have time. i have a bad cold and mixed with the surgery that i had amonth ago its not easy for me to do any work on my car. ill get it on soon and post a video tho

Quick Reply: Borla ProXS...