LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will a LE ported intake work with my Non-LE ported heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a LE ported intake work with my Non-LE ported heads?

I found a great deal on a LE2 ported intake with the standard port job, 58mm throttle body holes, runners and gasket ported ect. Now I'm wondering, will I be able to use this intake with my heads since they are non LE ported? The are the equivalent to about a LE2 port job, but I had it done locally.

The other thing, is my car is a 93. I know the intakes are different, but I don't know how. The LE2 intake is a 94-97. Can anyone tell me what the differences are and if this LE2 intake will work for me or not?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob
Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it will "work".
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference is the fuel rail crossover tube, on the 93 I believe it's at the back of the intake and on the 94-97 the crossover is near the front.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Save your money, or get your 93 ported by LE.. The 93 is a better flowing intake in stock form than the 94+ and the fuel connections are behind the intake on 94+'s so your fuel hoses will be all jacked uP
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
The 93 is a better flowing intake in stock form than the 94+
Say whaaaaa...?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard that before. Who knew the 1993 must have gotten the top secret, factory "race prepped" intake.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So you don't think the fact it has the largest stock ports and lacks the fuel rail trough obstruction could make any difference?

The later intakes work better on as cast heads because the ports are smaller more closely matching the as cast heads.

Not that I think it is a big difference, but I certainly wouldn't jump though any hoops to put a 94+ intake on a 93 for the sake of the intake.

Heads and intake ported by different shops can be a nightmare. A local guy with a different engine had an intake done one place and the heads another to the same dimension, one shop went higher on the port the other went lower. Ports were the same size but in different places. That doesn't work too well, the OP is begging for a similar problem.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
So you don't think the fact it has the largest stock ports and lacks the fuel rail trough obstruction could make any difference?

The later intakes work better on as cast heads because the ports are smaller more closely matching the as cast heads.

Not that I think it is a big difference, but I certainly wouldn't jump though any hoops to put a 94+ intake on a 93 for the sake of the intake.

Heads and intake ported by different shops can be a nightmare. A local guy with a different engine had an intake done one place and the heads another to the same dimension, one shop went higher on the port the other went lower. Ports were the same size but in different places. That doesn't work too well, the OP is begging for a similar problem.
This is correct, the 93 has a bigger factory intake port and lack of fuel rail cross over. The 93's have a distinct intake port like a rectangle and I have also seen a couple 96's mostly the caprice and impala iron head intakes with this more squared up port.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Say whaaaaa...?
Yea You heard me right, I own a 93 and obsessed with my intake

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Never heard that before. Who knew the 1993 must have gotten the top secret, factory "race prepped" intake.
I like the sound of that statement

Last edited by defaultexistence; 10-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Yeah I doubt it's a huge gain or anything but from the pics I've been looking at the 93 intakes definitely look like they flow a bit better without the fuel rail obstruction and the difference in the ports.

Well the only reason I'm looking into this LE intake is because I can get it for 100 bucks. Getting my 93 intake ported will be 200 + shipping...
Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you ship the intake out how will they know how to match it to the heads???

Maybe you should save your money since you didn't have it done in the first place. I think you are asking for trouble with little potential gains.

As already covered the 93 intake already has pretty good sized ports, and what we have not mentioned yet is that heads/cam cars have done over 425rwhp on unported stock later model intakes.

If having it done with heads I am all in favor of porting the intake, but now that the heads are bolted down and you are talking about having someone a distance away do the porting you are begging for for misalignment unless the heads were CNC'd and you sent the intake to the same shop.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, stick with the 93 as is.. Buy a cam
Old 10-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Oh I've got a cam... lol I've got a built 383 LT1. That's the only reason I'm even considering this intake. Everything is done and ported but the intake is stock.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised joe and wrd have never heard that before about the 93's, not to knock, I know they know way more than me

like stated OP you could possibly run into some alignment problems
Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Banned

I remember seeing/hearing somewhere that the 93's also got a SLIGHTLY larger cam too, anyone else remember that?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuel rail obstruction on the 94-97 intakes does not protrude the intake cavity...
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
The fuel rail obstruction on the 94-97 intakes does not protrude the intake cavity...
This was my thinking as well. I remember reading this same debate years ago. Everyone said it blocked the intake by hanging down into the plenum, but then someone posted side by side identical pictures showing how it doesn't obstruct it in any way and then consequently shut up the internet. Unless he posted pictures of the wrong manifold(s).

Tried a search but it was YEARS ago, so I couldn't find the thread.

I would, however, like to see proof of the claims that the 93 is superior. Moreso, I'd like to see proof that the gains are quantifiable enough to consider swapping out a ported 94+ for a 93. I personally don't think that's going to happen.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Its not the fuel rail casting hanging in the way of the intake air tract, its more of a plenum volume gain that I see worth switching over to a modded 93. Imagine having that little little bit of extra plenum volume gained by not having to work at cutting back the 94+ fuel rail hump. Then add up the little bits of plenum volume gained by cutting back all of the casting lines and opening up the throat behind the TB holes.

Then to go more extreme to gain plenum volume weld/epoxy behind the injectors and recut the port roof as to add a more straight airflow shot like on Stealthformula's epoxy intake. I really think the gain in plenum volume was where he picked up over a standard ported intake getting rid of the ski slope inside intake port runner.

Every tiny bit of air helps out/adds up as alot of people dont give the little things enough credit
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
Every tiny bit of air helps out/adds up as alot of people dont give the little things enough credit
If you are trying to eek out every little hundredth at the track, I agree, but for the guy on the street, I think the intake difference is negligible. People also seem to get hung up on bragging rights (that never amount to much in the real world).
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
If you are trying to eek out every little hundredth at the track, I agree, but for the guy on the street, I think the intake difference is negligible. People also seem to get hung up on bragging rights (that never amount to much in the real world).
I agree on this 100% the cost involved to redo the fuel lines and fittings plus cost of intake is just not worth it. Only on max effort SuperStocker's does the 93 give them that mouse fart blowing on the back bumper gain.

Quick Reply: Will a LE ported intake work with my Non-LE ported heads?