LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headers with stock y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers with stock y pipe?

I want to get some headers but I think longtubes may be out of the question for me. I am building this car to road race (or at least be set up to road race) and I plan on lowering it quite a bit. So shortys/mids are what I'm thinking about doing. I was wondering if any of them reuse the stock y pipe? I know the hooker shortys do because my buddy had them on one of his camaros. But the problem with them was that the very back bolt on one side of the motor was a HUGE PITA (impossible to fit a ratchet in there and it was a bitch with a wrench)! So I don't want the hookers. I know shortys and stock y pipe aren't for optimal performance gains, but I'm not tryin to build an 11 second car here. So does anyone know what headers (besides hooker) that can reuse the stock y? And if there aren't any, which shortys/mids have the best fit and plug access?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

What made you decide to not use long tubes? If it's ground clearance a good set of springs like stranos shouldn't drop it far enough to cause problems on a track.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to reuse the stock y-pipe then there's no reason to get headers.

The loss in ground clearance is only a concern for speed-bumps and roadkill, not for road-racing.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

If it was going to be a track only car, I'd say **** it and get the LTs. There are no potholes and driveway humps on a track. But it needs to be able to drive on the streets. And there are a lot of shitty roads here in Mississippi. I'm not dead set on using the stock y. I was just wondering if it is an option. If not I'm looking at the MAC mids set up.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

IMO if your gonna spend the money you should just get LT's. Not many people have big problems besides the occasional scrape on the y pipe.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Launching!

I have pacesetter long tubes and I don't seem to have any issues. As long as your careful you will be fine.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Well on my last fbody at stock ride height, my pacesetter LTs liked to drag every once in awhile. I just don't want to rip a header out of a head going through a pothole that I didn't see at 50 mph.

Quick Reply: Headers with stock y pipe?