LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rotating assembly recommendations for 96 Corvette LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating assembly recommendations for 96 Corvette LT1

I'm a newbie and not much of a gearhead so I'm looking to expertise here. I'm also a bit intimidated by all the acronyms brandished so please be patient.

I spun a rod bearing in my 96 Corvette LT1 and have no choice but to replace the crank. I was content with stock performance so the repair goal is rebuild a solid unit at the least expense.

In reading about rotating assemblies I gather the 383 is more efficient in horsepower as well as fuel economy. Is this true?

If I were to go with a 383 rotating assembly I have the following questions:
1) Are there good kits where I don't have to figure out all the pieces I need? If so which kit(s) would you reccommend and where can I purchase?
2) What kind of costs are associated with prepping the block?
3) Do I need to bore the cylinders to accomodate new pistons & rings? If so to what spec?
4) Is it advisable to upgrade the cam as well? If so what are your reccommendations.
5) Is there anything else I can do to rebuild a solid unit? i.e. distributor, water pump, oil pump/cooling.
6) I have stock aluminum heads. Other than checking for warp and reseating valves should I consider anything else?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not porting your heads go find another LT1 crank and use it

Shouldn't even consider more cubes unless you have a top end that will benefit from it plus the stock LT1 crank has a good rep for being stronger then most aftermarket cranks
Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you were happy with stock performance I would just get a used stock crank. They are better than cast aftermarket and wont require a lot of other parts and machining.

Adding displacement without substantial cam and head upgrades as well as headers fuel injectors and all will be a complete wasted effort.

With bolton, heads and cam you can add a couple hundred HP to an LT1 before you need to start looking at more displacement.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Not much luck finding a used crank so far. Does anyone have a source for a good stock crank?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

I have a stock crank out of my 96.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk73ku
I spun a rod bearing in my 96 Corvette LT1 and have no choice but to replace the crank.
Did a shop tell you the crank was bad? In most cases the crank can be repaired.

Quick Reply: Rotating assembly recommendations for 96 Corvette LT1