LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

block ventalation questions for the pros

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default block ventalation questions for the pros

im in the middle of building a solid roller 383 and i am looking at maybe putting the pipes in the valley holes.

main thing i am asking about is using header evac system to create vacuum on the crankcase. anyone else using this setup on an lt1? also does anything need to be done with the pcv valve?

let me know your setups
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Since no pros have posted up, I will ask some unprofessional type questions.
What lifters are you using for this setup? Is this a track only car or street/strip?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

first quesiton you need to ask your self is it a 1/4 mile only car or a car that will see street time...........when i built mine i passed on lifter valley vents because i do see some occcasional street use..........i want the oil dripping down on the cam and lifters to keep them lubed and cool..........if its a 1/4 drag motor only id for sure run the vents.......

as for the evap in the header again on a drag application it works well......just make sure you vent them BEHIND the O2's or you will have serious issues.......i passed on the evap system and went with a vacuum pump.......i can control the vacuum it pulls and i have vacuum all the time in the crank case instead of only high rpm WOT
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the moroso crankcase evac kit on a non restrictive exhaust. It works fine on my street/strip car. For the record it doesn't vent into the exhaust, it siphons through the exhaust as the exhaust gas passes by. It uses a check valve system up to the breathers in my valve covers. I also kept in place the stock pcv system. I have seen this run on cars with a muffler but it won't pull as much vac as a non restrictive type. Mine are loud, you can def hear it whistle. almost sounds like a procharger when on the gas hard. I mounted the insertion tubes in the y pipe on each bank.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Restricted User

Thanks for the replies guys, it will see some strip time, I am running howards lifters. What is the normal cost of a vacuum pump setup? And did anyone see any gains from the header evac system? Is it a good idea to the the stock PVC valve in place?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Restricted User

?????

Quick Reply: block ventalation questions for the pros