LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best way to do this

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to do this

So winter is coming and I was gonna start tearing into my car. I am just not sure the best way to go about this...

I am doing a cc 503 cam swap and all the supporting parts. The part that makes this more difficult though is the oil pan gasket is leaking in the back somewhere by the filter, and also by the timing cover(could be the pan gasket again where they meet). The oil leak isn't real big but its one of those things id like to fix when I'm in there.

So my options if figure are:

1. pulling the motor and getting it on a stand to do all this,

or

2. do the cam swap and just lifting up the motor and getting the gasket in there? if i went with this one does the transmission have to come off in order to get the motor high enough?

Id kinda also like to get new motor mounts at this time since it hasn't been done and the car has 123 k miles, and also maybe to the oil cooler delete mod to clean up the engine bay a little more. Also what motor mounts would you guys recommend?

I have been thinking about this some time now and am still not sure the best route about going about the whole project. Any help would and advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would pull the whole thing and go threw it...if the money is there to do it. I would also go with the stock motor mounts unless you dont care about all the vibration u will feel with solid or poly urathene, lots of road feel.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull it. Overall it will take longer, but you will do a MUCH BETTER OVERALL JOB with unrestricted access to everything that matters. If you can prevent frustration, do it.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

thats kind of what i was thinking too. Thanks guys