LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Something is VERY wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Something is VERY wrong.

Since I got the vibration problem fixed in the car (weighted flexplate, needed a neutral balance one) Ive noticed something a bit odd.

while under cruising conditions at about 70 MPH or so and getting on it a bit.... or accelerating at a brisk pace from a stop, I noticed a loud rythmic thumping sound from what appeared to be the front passengers side of the motor. It was loud enough to hear/feel over the exhaust, but if I really gave it some pedal, it would completely go away. This happened whether or not the car was cold.

Today, i'm on my way to work, and it sounded a wee bit louder. When i puled in to work, the engine shuddered as it came down in rpms to a bit below 1K (like normal, in gear at the time) and I heard a nasty rattle. I parked the car and shut it off. I heard the same nasty grind/rattle when shutting it down. Uh oh... I came back out later on, with a auto stethescope and fired the car up. You can hear an intermittent rattle/knock above all the other engine noise. Its audible in the car, as well as outside when the hood is popped. It still seems to be there when you rev it a bit. I used the stethescope and It was audible at the front of the valve covers, VERY loud at the top of the water pump, and mabey a little bit louder/sharper at the top of the timing cover. Its not for certian that its coming from there though..... It louder at the timing cover/water pump area than anywhere else. ANY clue as to what it could be?

I'm so pissed off right now... this car had to keep going for at least one more week. I need to get my truck fixed first before I can store this for the winter
Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once had a napa harmonic balancer on my car, driving down the road and this ***** in a sububan riding my *** hard so i floor it and get sideways. (i love that) Anyways i pull to the next light and i hear this loud noise banging. So i go home and it sounds just like i threw a rod. So i shut it down and am depressed the whole day. I check it out the next day and the outer inertia reng seperated from the balancer and was hitting the block Damn that was a relief.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 AM
12 Second Club

As far as I can tell, everything in the accessory drive area is okay, and tight. Nothing is wobbling, and the pulleys don't move when i push/yank on them
Old 11-02-2011, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Water pump drive gear stripped?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 AM
12 Second Club

Its possible? Ive been reading threads all night, and thats one of the possibilities. I hope to god its something small and stupid. One bit of info... the last couple of days Ive noticed that the car is heating up (on the gauge) a bit quicker than normal.... not crazy fast but noticeable. I just attributed that to the fact that I just replaced the heater core.... maybe not. The first order of business is to pull the belt and fire it up. I HAVE noticed a bit of a rattle/knock/squeak on cold startup that I was sure was a pulley complaining. It always went away after a few minutes or so, no biggie.

If the noise is still there after the belt pull, I'm gonna puke. I have no desire to pull the damn opti off AGAIN this year, when the car is supposed to go into storage in a week. It can't go in there until i get the truck up and going though.