LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project GoDZiLLa 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Project GoDZiLLa 1.0

First phase of my build. Basically some of you may know my story. Was driving home after getting a tune up, had the coupler of the intake to close to the throttle. It got caught at WOT and redlined til I shut it off. Got it home. Few weeks later Jpack diagnosed a Knocking noise I heard, as a Rod Knock. So after months waiting I finally got funds to buy a donor engine from Jpacks friend Rick, who had a lt1 laying around because he just built another engine. So we yanked out the engine today and got a few extra goodies along with.

Thanks to Jpack (Jim) and Rick

1.0 = being phase 1 of the project
In progress of preping the bay, soon to degrease and paint. Then within 2wks goes in the engine and this list.
Going in:
LT1 and 4l60 ( because it already together and has less mileage). 85k, dealer maintained.

Pacesetter LT
Vig 4000 stall
power 52mm throttle body
customed fit taylor sparks plug wires
ported intake manifold.
new motor mounts.

Here we go:
The start :

then removing the must

All jacked up

hoisted

slightly up

soon to be in

Soon to be more pics, and will be keeping this updated along the way.
Let me know input or anything.......

Last edited by bizerk1; 11-05-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a real clean Camaro its going into.

Everything should go nice and smooth with JPack helping you - he's done it once or twice from what I remember .
Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man that motor sitting on the floor like that is just begging for a cam swap to accompany the 4k stall.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

if only funds allowed : (

soon enough that will maybe be 2.0? with sum suspension
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I know the funds allow deal, I'm doing a 6 litre for my 02 ws6 it will have to be 370 inches cuz I dont have the extra money for the stroker crank + machine work.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Is the intake ported to 58mm? And why such a high stall?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

do a 3k stall with the stock motor. imo.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill cut you a deal on the cam and valve train im selling, car is clean, love the dark green ones.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean car!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, the high stall is just stupid, period.

Everything else is OK, ie it won't hurt you, but until you do heads/cam it is still a torque motor, and a stall that high is missing more of the torque band than it is using. Hell, the longtubes make that situation even worse if you add it all up.

Put in a S10 converter and be happy with it. Or, at most, go with a 2600-2800 stall, 3000 ONLY if you can get a hold of one cheap, but you will still be losing a lot of the available power of the motor.

Once you have a proper stall on it, then you can do a set of 1.6 rockers (and valvesprings) while it is all in the car.

Just so you know the ported intake manifold just doesn't make sense either with stock heads, and neither does the 52mm throttlebody. Both will net you absoloutly nothing right now, so unless you had them just laying around or got them for pennies they were worthless expenses. That money would have better spent on a cam/rockers/valvesprings/proper torque converter.

Good luck with the swap.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless it is part of a bigger picture...... and getting all his ducks in a row. For what he is getting "for now" was basically given to him. All of what he got was to build a foundation for his futire build. Some may have not read his story months ago on here. In a nutshell, he purchased his car and drove it maybe 3-5 hours and the engine was done at no fault of his own. I was directed to his thread and went to take a look at his car. Engine was done... I felt bad about what had happened to him. After doing some investigation into his top end yesterday he was told the car had a cam in it. I noticed it still had stock springs and stock rockers and no hint of evidence of the engine ever been apart. So he was led to believe the car had work done to it. After being under the car it was also apparent the car had been off the road hard. Oil pan dented almost an inch, radiator support bent up and portions of the front subframe all dented in.

So that is where it stands. Going to correct many issues with the car on top of the others listed. Get the car back on the road and driveable. He was given high quality parts to go with his plan of building a forced induction set up and will have the old shortblock built by Clayton racing which also felt bad about his situation and just about going to build him a engine at cost when he is ready and funds allow. Right now he is getting his car completely done with all parts, engine and trans for about $2k. Hell the converter alone is over 1k and will be perfect for his end build. Maybe not perfect for the current set up, but long term it will be there.

Not many guys will just come out to lend a hand to help out someone they just met let alone basically give away parts. He just got a bad deal and now we are fixing that bad luck and getting him back on the road and putting the car back to something solid and enjoyable.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Thats a great story! And u guys are awesome for helping this guy out
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! To be honest, that's just how anyone I am associated with or friends with do things around here. Probably why my garage is loaded with parts for when someone needs something. My wife doesn't like the garage full but she understands. I have to say his car has to be one of the hardest I have tackled yet. Fought every step of the way coming apart. I earned the nick name gorilla hands yesterday taking it apart. Was not fun since I have a 8mm tear in my rotator and a wrist messed up from a 8 hr bone graft surgery to a shattered wrist. It was a long day!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Thats why Jim is one of the coolest dudes on the planet. Hurt or not he is always willing to help someone in need out
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

OP looks real good! keep this thread updated

wish the world had more jpacks around
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Very nice, i know how it feels to an extent. I traded a mint mint mint mint 2000 gsxr 750 to some ***** of a person for my 94 trans am. I drove it once befor and then the 2nd time we traded. He said the Rear brake caliper started making noise, i went ahead with it thinking a caliper isnt expensive. Got home and found the wheel on its way to falling off.

Next i find the vac hose to the FPR is nowhere to be found, said alot about my 9-11mpg tank of gas. This also fixed a starting problem it had that i found out about.

On a way to a friends house, 2 lane road, very twisty, no shoulder..the car dies on me on a blind turn. Great spot as i had no cell phone service as well. I inspect the fuse panel which i find to be smoking due to 18ga wire ran from the ignition fuse to the rad fans...18 gauge!!! lucky the car didnt burn down.

Then i find major subframe and pinchweld damage...as well as a new rocker panel put on the car...OVER THE ORIGINAL rocker panel.

People who do this type of thing are to me lower then the worst form of life on the planet. I traded my MINT nothing wrong with it gsxr750. I took it to get dyno tuned once, 2 people rode it and told me to save my money, it rides, handles and runs out PERFECTLY. My hard earned money was put into that thing. Yes we can all do better at looking more in depth at things we trade for, but i absolutly hate when people know things are a way and dont disclose them. Like your seller knowing theres no aftermarket cam in the car, yet misleads you. I hope you wrote him a lovely email. Mine got to the point where i was ready to contact a lawyer if i found anything else wrong.

I know how it feels to get deceived like that, it sucks.

Good luck on your build, i hope it turns out for the best. Sounds like your getting alot of help from good people. It should be a nice car when its done, love those dark green fbodies.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-06-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry, that converter is all wrong ESPECIALLY if he is going forced induction, with a turbo setup being worse than a supercharged... I would argue that with ANYONE if it is a street car. And by the sound of it and the donations, it is. For a all-out drag car that may be right if it is setup right.

Sorry, I ran a 4000 stall Yank for a while on one setup I had... It was silly stupid N/A, let alone forced induction. And it is definitely not for someone just getting into the game. That is just trying to make a "kid racer" type out of someone that doesn't know better. Why not give him a loud-mouth and an offroad y-pipe while your at it and see how many tickets he can rack up in the first month.

Point is, keep the stall out of the equation until he can not only properly use it, but knows how it will help him. He would be better off with a stock converter.

I understand you guys want to help, and like I said a lot of the other stuff certainly won't hurt, just that he won't get anything out of it. The high stall will contribute to an accident, especially if he isn't used to driving a car with decent torque. Common sense here guys.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

loudmouth will be a quiet exhaust compared to what is on it. I used to drive my srt with a open downpipe that was 3in and if you gunned it, most people would either go deaf or **** themselves from the noise. So Im used to attention from cops. they do not really bother over exhaust as much as liscense plates on the front. I will be able to handle it. I have not driven a stalled car, but I have drive plenty of cars with more power and tq with lower weights, stick and auto. So I got it. It wont even be driven much anyways because winter is almost here....

Anyways, I primered most of the engine bay, prepping it for paint. My old trans, was working good, if anyone would want to buy it, check it out in forsale section. Have to mention.
Still need to do, before engine and trans go in:

Clean engine ( I know, the opti is already cover)
Paint engine bay
Re-run the speaker wire directly to headunit
Engine and trans can go in
Then tune
AND last Detail !
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

Are you all crazy???

Honestly, you try to say "no fault of his own", the kid was doing 145mph the first day he bought the car. I don't care if he changed the oil and the rest of the fluids, but to beat on an unknown new car like that is abuse. He deserved to spin a bearing driving like an asshat. Sorry, you do proper maintenance first, then check the car out mechanically top to bottom, then once you know it doesn't have issues, then you get on it a bit.

Sorry, dumbasses like this are the types that end up hitting families in vans because they can't control the POS they bought because they don't have a clue.

Stupidity isn't an excuse when the rest of you 'tards keep adding to it with the ignorance you are contributing to. Trying to say a loudmouth is quiet compared to anything is just dumb.

May you get more tickets than you can afford and maybe you will learn a lesson. Being loud and obnoxious just means you are pissing off everyone else around you. Cool for all of 5 minutes and then you become an anti-social PITA.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by bizerk1
loudmouth will be a quiet exhaust compared to what is on it. I used to drive my srt with a open downpipe that was 3in and if you gunned it, most people would either go deaf or **** themselves from the noise. So Im used to attention from cops. they do not really bother over exhaust as much as liscense plates on the front. I will be able to handle it. I have not driven a stalled car, but I have drive plenty of cars with more power and tq with lower weights, stick and auto. So I got it. It wont even be driven much anyways because winter is almost here....

Anyways, I primered most of the engine bay, prepping it for paint. My old trans, was working good, if anyone would want to buy it, check it out in forsale section. Have to mention.
Still need to do, before engine and trans go in:

Clean engine ( I know, the opti is already cover)
Paint engine bay
Re-run the speaker wire directly to headunit
Engine and trans can go in
Then tune
AND last Detail !
Good to see Jim helping you out, don't worry about going big on the build the first time out. Just a mild build is all you need for now.

Quick Reply: Project GoDZiLLa 1.0