LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lifter FAIL! or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter FAIL! or normal?

is this normal? 8 of these 16 28,000 mile lifters cups all seem to be compressed... would it be bleed down from spring load due to the motor sitting awhile?i was told they were pulled as soon as engine cooled down for a cam swap and engine (02 ls1) had no issues..
Attached Thumbnails lifter FAIL! or normal?-lifter.jpg   lifter FAIL! or normal?-lifter2.jpg  

Last edited by defaultexistence; 11-06-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

yup, time to toss em out
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a bucket with clean oil and try soaking it overnight. Then tomorrow with it stil submerged try pumping it up to see if it is collapsed or not....
Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Angry

Originally Posted by gatorhead
Get a bucket with clean oil and try soaking it overnight. Then tomorrow with it stil submerged try pumping it up to see if it is collapsed or not....
pump them up how? pushing on em?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
pump them up how? pushing on em?
yeah use your finger or anything really that will fit in the cup and try to pump it.

Philosophy behind this: being that if it sat compressed for a long period of time and had no oil to lift it back it could be in that state. The very least it will cost you is a little bit of time and I am sure you have some oil layin round.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are junk, throw them in the garbage.

Originally Posted by gatorhead
How do you pump up a collapsed lifter ?
They are collapsed.

Last edited by LilSlo1; 11-06-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilSlo1
They are junk, throw them in the garbage.

How do you pump up a collapsed lifter ?
They are collapsed.
Thats why I said to see if they are collapsed or not. They are hydraulic lifters, the hydraulic part is the oil they have been lacking for however long they have been sitting and in a depressed state. Could be junk, but won't hurt a damn thing to try and soak them and see if it wil pump back up.
Furthermore they are rebuildable and the only thing under the cup is a spring.
The seals could be shot from sitting dry....its worth a few bucks of oil that he probably already has sitting there is all I am suggesting.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The spring inside the lifter should be pushing it back up to the top. Depending on the clearance it may take a while. If it doesn't come back up eventually something is stuck. You can remove the wire clip and disassemble the lifter. It's only got like 3 parts in it. You can then clean it and see if it works when reassembled.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, disassembled them one at a time.. Very basic inside.. Removed clip pulled cup and washer valve,pulled plunger that has a check ball in the bottom,pulled spring dumped remaining oil from each to find lots of metal flakes .. Flushed he plungers and check *****.. Re-oiled and reassembled and they all move freely now .. Once the clip Was back in i used an old pushrod to push against the cup and they will push down smooth and return smooth immediately ..... The metal flakes had jammed them and clogged he check ball...
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Cool, now where are the metal flakes coming from? Were they a dark grey color or a lighter gray? The lifters get oil directly from the pump up to the lifter galleys and then through each lifter to the next all the way to the front of the block. Is your oil filter by-passing or is something else going on?

Also, if you put a little oil in the lifters the plunger should be hard to pull out. It has to break suction. It should pull up and then try to suck back in if all clearances are OK.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Cool, now where are the metal flakes coming from? Were they a dark grey color or a lighter gray? The lifters get oil directly from the pump up to the lifter galleys and then through each lifter to the next all the way to the front of the block. Is your oil filter by-passing or is something else going on?

Also, if you put a little oil in the lifters the plunger should be hard to pull out. It has to break suction. It should pull up and then try to suck back in if all clearances are OK.
I have no clue where the metal came from these lifters came from an 02 ls1 28k mile car used.
The flakes were all very shiny like silver metal flake in paint.
At first the plungers were jammed and hard to pull AND had suction that I had to relieve by touching the check ball with my straight o-ring pick.
Once I was reinstalling them they then had pressure behind them and wouldn't push back in unless I relieved the pressure by touching the check ball then they had suction again once inplace before the clips went in..
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Well, hopefully the metal flakes were from the previous owner. As long as they appear to be working correctly you might as well reinstall them. If they clog up again you'll need to go on a treasure hunt to find the source of the mysterious metal flakes.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

" not going back in that motor" so he's on his own with that treasure hunt
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Cool!!

Quick Reply: lifter FAIL! or normal?