LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water temp sensors in WP keep dieing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water temp sensors in WP keep dieing

It may just be a coincidence since they are all used, but my 1st sensor (#1) stayed on -40*. It finally started working, but didn't last long, went back to -40*.

Put one out of another water pump (#2) I had laying around and everything was normal. Lasted about a week and it went haywire, jumping from -40* to 260* which made the timing jump around which made the car run like ****. It seemed like, once it warmed up it would start working.....

So I put in used sensor #3 and it was working great. I didn't have my laptop yesterday to log it, but it started acting similar to #2, then cleared up when the motor warmed up.

I know most might say "Get a brand new one", and I will, but I'm just wondering if there could be a connection to all 3 going out or if it's just a coincidence.

Has anyone else had problems with their WP Temp sensor failing/acting crazy???
Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I did, but it wasn't the sensor, but a broken ground wire, that was still touching, but would heat up and expand and off and on make contact. Had to go thru the wire loom to find it.

hth

andy schuck
Old 11-09-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the wires are messed up somewhere will give you a min or max reading.

Quick Reply: Water temp sensors in WP keep dieing