LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is 7 quarts overfilling it for a Moroso 20185 pan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Is 7 quarts overfilling it for a Moroso 20185 pan?

Is 7 quarts too much for this Moroso oil pan? Just trying to figure out if I'm overfilling it since I still have this oil leak at the back of the engine somewhere. Thanx

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-20185/
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean... It says "5.5qt" .......
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You should not be going by whatever anybody says to put in. You should fill the engine until the oil on the dipstick hits the top of the "full" mark. Then count how many quarts you put in. That's your number.

If you have an aftermarket oil cooler, you'll need to re-check the level after you've restarted the engine-then waited until it's shut down for a while.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
You should not be going by whatever anybody says to put in. You should fill the engine until the oil on the dipstick hits the top of the "full" mark. Then count how many quarts you put in. That's your number.

If you have an aftermarket oil cooler, you'll need to re-check the level after you've restarted the engine-then waited until it's shut down for a while.
yes sirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. the 5.5 quarts is only the pan, not the motor, filter, cooler...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what the dipstick is for!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Think with your dip stick jimmy.......
Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Not sure about the Moroso pan, but the Canton 242t pan does not place the dipstick where it is accurate. It sits higher so if one were to fill up until the dipstick read full it would be overfilled and problems may start happening.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Not sure about the Moroso pan, but the Canton 242t pan does not place the dipstick where it is accurate. It sits higher so if one were to fill up until the dipstick read full it would be overfilled and problems may start happening.
This is what I was trying to determine. It reads fine but supposedly the base of the pan is no different from the stock pan.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i dont see why you would need all that extra oil unless you have an hv pump. i bought mine for the windage screen and better oil control. i put the truck oil filter on it and put in 6 quarts. its still one more than stock, plus u bring the oil level away from the crank so u have even less chance of windage
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

the dipstick goes in the block. not the pan. its not gonna move if u change the pan
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ElkySS
the dipstick goes in the block. not the pan. its not gonna move if u change the pan
Correct and correct.

The oil level when full does not change with regards to what pan, filter or cooler you use. The amount of oil you put in will vary but it needs to still get to the top of the "full" mark on the dipstick, which never changes it's position.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Village Troll

It must be the design of the pan perhaps. I can put 6 quarts in my Canton pan and it registers just below the "A" in Add.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yup........i run 6.5 quarts in my canton 242t with no issues
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you change the pan and change the location of the windage tray it sure as hell does change.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct and correct.

The oil level when full does not change with regards to what pan, filter or cooler you use. The amount of oil you put in will vary but it needs to still get to the top of the "full" mark on the dipstick, which never changes it's position.
SO i might be confused? Say you use a cooler and i dont. Wouldnt the motor with the cooler take more oiL? I was trying to say what you said there
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
When you change the pan and change the location of the windage tray it sure as hell does change.
I don't see what the confusion is here.

If you had the engine up in the air and removed the oil pan, the dipstick tube stays in the block and the dipstick gauge itself hangs down below the oil pan rail.

If you then installed a deeper oil pan, the dipstick stays where it was and you still need to fill the oil pan to the full mark on the stick.

The dipstick doesn't care if the oil pan holds five quarts or five gallons.

The "full" mark on the dipstick gauge is relative to the engine block, not the depth/capacity of the oil pan.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
SO i might be confused? Say you use a cooler and i dont. Wouldnt the motor with the cooler take more oiL? I was trying to say what you said there
Yes, the car with an oil cooler or larger filter or oil pan would need more oil than a car without. Regardless, you fill to the "full" mark on the dipstick.

Keep in mind that a *real oil cooler will more than likely retain oil so when you first install an oil cooler, it's empty and the fill level needs to be checked after running the engine. After that, it'll retain oil and the fill after drain amount will be less.

*real oil cooler: One that has oil in it, not the wanna-be cooler GM used on LT1 cars.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Village Troll

I don't see what the confusion is here.

If you had the engine up in the air and removed the oil pan, the dipstick tube stays in the block and the dipstick gauge itself hangs down below the oil pan rail.

If you then installed a deeper oil pan, the dipstick stays where it was and you still need to fill the oil pan to the full mark on the stick.

The dipstick doesn't care if the oil pan holds five quarts or five gallons.

The "full" mark on the dipstick gauge is relative to the engine block, not the depth/capacity of the oil pan.
Because with a design like the Canton pan the oil is in a different position than a stock pan. You fill it to the "full" mark you'll be at 7 plus quarts which could put it well above the windage tray.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Because with a design like the Canton pan the oil is in a different position than a stock pan. You fill it to the "full" mark you'll be at 7 plus quarts which could put it well above the windage tray.
NEGATIVE. The full mark on the dipstick is below the windage tray.

If you've filled the crankcase to a level above the windage tray, it's mark on the dipstick gauge will be above the full mark.

Regardless of oil pan used, the dipstick gauge does not move or change-and neither does the full oil level mark which is dictated by the engine, not the pan.

The oil level indicated on the stick has nothing to do with how much oil you've put into the oil pan to get to the full mark on the stick.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Village Troll

NEGATIVE. The full mark on the dipstick is below the windage tray.

If you've filled the crankcase to a level above the windage tray, it's mark on the dipstick gauge will be above the full mark.

Regardless of oil pan used, the dipstick gauge does not move or change-and neither does the full oil level mark which is dictated by the engine, not the pan.

The oil level indicated on the stick has nothing to do with how much oil you've put into the oil pan to get to the full mark on the stick.
So basically what you're saying is those who have a 242t pan can fill the pan all the way to the full mark, regardless of how many quarts used and have no risk of filling over the windage tray or windage problems?

Quick Reply: Is 7 quarts overfilling it for a Moroso 20185 pan?