LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 vavle adjustment*rookie at work*

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 vavle adjustment*rookie at work*

Ltd1 engine.. I put new valves, srals, springs etc.. in the heads. Now its time to adjust them. Can anyone tell me what's the most accurate way of doing this. Hydrilic roller cam. And with the valves not set, will this cause the car to not start? Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I used shbox's way to adjust them with the motor not running. My lifters bled down a bit so i adjusted them twice this way. The first time was actually pretty good using the spin technique.

Its a very simple procedure, just remember which valves are intake and which are exhaust as it can get confusing, i got lost halfway through once.

Hyrdraulic lifters offer a small margin of forgiveness making it pretty easy to ball park.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude has 1 post and can't spell. you think he/she has a clue who/what "shbox" is?

Learn valve lash procedure here:
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to pre set them with engine off and then double check them with engine running. It can be a little messy but take your time and dont loose anything into the engine and dont hurt your self lol. If you do it with engine running get some card board or something to keep any oil off the exhaust while doing it this way.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaycenk
I like to pre set them with engine off and then double check them with engine running. It can be a little messy but take your time and dont loose anything into the engine and dont hurt your self lol. If you do it with engine running get some card board or something to keep any oil off the exhaust while doing it this way.
And that's the best way.

Al 95 Z28
Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
And that's the best way.

Al 95 Z28
I agree, but I'll add that you should allow the engine to fully warm up, so the differences in heat expansion between the iron block and aluminum heads is out of the equation.

Quick Reply: Lt1 vavle adjustment*rookie at work*