LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Raced an R/T charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced an R/T charger

Ok so it was this past friday and I was heading to a sushi bar with a chick I was on a date with. There was a what looked to be stock charger r/t next to me. The chick told me he put his window down and wanted to race me which I had no idea. So i moved a little forward to look at the driver and he was not looking at me. So anyways, she told me she wanted to see me race, so I decided to put the gear in first in case the guy in the charger did wanted to race. We where both waiting for the light to turn green, not sure what he was going to do. So once the light turned green, he accelerated a little bit and then suddenly punched it. As I heard him go full throttle, I went to go chase him down.Once I hit second gear I caught up and we where going head to head until I hit 4th which Is overdrive (auto) and he started to pull. I expected to pull on him. Is this a normal result?

Only mod are CAI and just some 18s z06s by 10.5s in the rear. Stock 2.73 gears.

Oh and on the second race this time we actually both agreed to go on green and I was ahead of him by 2 1/2 car lengths or more =).
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those mopars make good power but are really heavy. I have a buddy with a new 300c with the 5.7 that wants to race me. After riding in my car he decided he wants to do a few more mods before we race.

The RTs have a 5.7. They are pretty equal with a stock lt1. The SRT cars are a lot faster. The brand new SRTs are rediculous though. Im hearing low 12s stock...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Those mopars make good power but are really heavy. I have a buddy with a new 300c with the 5.7 that wants to race me. After riding in my car he decided he wants to do a few more mods before we race.

The RTs have a 5.7. They are pretty equal with a stock lt1. The SRT cars are a lot faster. The brand new SRTs are rediculous though. Im hearing low 12s stock...
Clean T/A you have. White always looks nice. Mines is medium patriot red. Yeah I wish I had the money to pay for more mods, but priorities (university) come first hehe. Yeah I wouldn't mess with an srt8 unless I got heads and cam or a vortech supercharger.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

you shouldve beat him. I know everyone will call BS, but i raced a 09 or 10 challenger srt8 from a 50ish roll and a dig. He was most likely stock auto, im auto w/ 3.23, CAI, and GMMG catback, and LCAs (no RB). On the roll, he honked it off and i guess i was on a sweet spot for the rpms, cus i got the jump and pulled like half a car on him. Once we were going around 80mph, he had already caught up and started walking me verrrrry slowly. Eventually around 110, he only had 1 car lenght on me.

We then hit a stoplight, and his passenger asked me what i had under the hood. While we waited for the light, I told em what i had, and he seemed surprised. When it turned green, we both gunned it and we both spun. Right after i got traction, i pulled around 2 cars on him. He obviously spun a lot more than me but i got a big advantage and when we hit right under 100mph, he was barely in my rear fender and slowly catching up.

I really wasnt expecting those results, but i feel i did ok to pull on a srt8 at least for a little bit until he caught up. Theres also a rt challenger in town who ive been wanting to race for a while. I passed her one time without racing and i guess she thought i was racing, and she pulled a massive ricer flyby! Ever since ive been wanting to run her, but i havent had a chance yet.

I think a well running lt1 should be able to take on a stock rt. You should check out the streetkill section
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zlow28
you shouldve beat him. I know everyone will call BS, but i raced a 09 or 10 challenger srt8 from a 50ish roll and a dig. He was most likely stock auto, im auto w/ 3.23, CAI, and GMMG catback, and LCAs (no RB). On the roll, he honked it off and i guess i was on a sweet spot for the rpms, cus i got the jump and pulled like half a car on him. Once we were going around 80mph, he had already caught up and started walking me verrrrry slowly. Eventually around 110, he only had 1 car lenght on me.

We then hit a stoplight, and his passenger asked me what i had under the hood. While we waited for the light, I told em what i had, and he seemed surprised. When it turned green, we both gunned it and we both spun. Right after i got traction, i pulled around 2 cars on him. He obviously spun a lot more than me but i got a big advantage and when we hit right under 100mph, he was barely in my rear fender and slowly catching up.

I really wasnt expecting those results, but i feel i did ok to pull on a srt8 at least for a little bit until he caught up. Theres also a rt challenger in town who ive been wanting to race for a while. I passed her one time without racing and i guess she thought i was racing, and she pulled a massive ricer flyby! Ever since ive been wanting to run her, but i havent had a chance yet.

I think a well running lt1 should be able to take on a stock rt. You should check out the streetkill section
il check the website thanks. Yeah I thought so too, the charger R/T is pretty heavy. I got him on the second race and pulled pretty hard by 2 1/2 car length cause I knew this time we where racing and this was from a dig. The first race was unexpected. Theres another R/T charger that I want to race. One day I was driving down the freeway when all of a sudden this white R/T cuts me off, so I hit the brakes hard so I won't hit him. Anywho eventually we both got off the same freeway exit and we met not the nicest way lol. I told him lets race, and he said don't run your mouth, run your car. I told him this is why Im asking you lets race, he starts saying put some money on it. I didn't have any money with me at the moment, so I told him just for bragging rights, so he started making up all these excuses. Anyways the guy had already cut me off, all I wanted was revenge hehe. Next time Il make sure hel have no excuses.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

I took one on recently, I don't normally street race but I couldn't resist, wasn't much of a race, then the DB did a ricer flyby.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I took one on recently, I don't normally street race but I couldn't resist, wasn't much of a race, then the DB did a ricer flyby.
yea the charger r/t's are kinda turdish lol.......i had a guy try and race my GTO before the cam and i absloutly murdered him lol......i was shifting the car like i was on a sunday drive lol
Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

They are so damn heavy. I think the SRT8 392 Challengers stock with just DR's get only into the mid 12's. If they put those cars on a serious diet they would be fast but they are sooo damn heavy. My father in law has a charger SRT8. Nice power stock but I wouldn't spend the money they want for an SRT8 to do what the R/T's should do stock.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then I should be able to murder R/T's real bad with 3.73 gears right? Unless I race a heavily modded R/T.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

That all depends on how well you can launch it. R/T's can wake up a bit with a tune but they are still heavy. 6.1 SRT8's have a fairley junk tune in them from the factory. I have seen those wake up a bit with a proper tune. SRT8 392's are quick from the factory and the old chrysler ESP system helps them put it down ok. If the SRT8 392 Challenger got better milage and cost under 38k new loaded I'd have bought it. Nice car just not worth the money for what it was made to compeate with IMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaycenk
That all depends on how well you can launch it. R/T's can wake up a bit with a tune but they are still heavy. 6.1 SRT8's have a fairley junk tune in them from the factory. I have seen those wake up a bit with a proper tune. SRT8 392's are quick from the factory and the old chrysler ESP system helps them put it down ok. If the SRT8 392 Challenger got better milage and cost under 38k new loaded I'd have bought it. Nice car just not worth the money for what it was made to compeate with IMO.
Yeah Ive gotten pretty good at launching my lt1 over the past 2 years =D. Cant wait to start modding my lt1.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna say it was your 2.73's that killed you from the late punch. When I had 2.73 and a stock stall I couldn't pull **** from a dig and if I missed the hit, see ya. Change up the gears and do some more bolt ons and you'll be good.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

ive drove SRT8 chargers and 300c A stock 6.0 GTO will smoke that *** I was a chrysler tech for awhile and they didnt impress me any I will take a 4th Gen WS6 or SS Camaro over one any day The challenger looks good as far as retros But then again Id take a new 5th gen ZL1 or COPO over it too I would take a dodge over a Furd (ford+turd)though lmao Oh if it helps the 5.7 RTs are like 330 or 350hp

Last edited by warriorcustoms; 11-15-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I Clobbered a srt8 challenger before my car had serious issues end of spring last year. I think he was stick too. The mopars are just way to heavy.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^super fat they are!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I'm gonna say it was your 2.73's that killed you from the late punch. When I had 2.73 and a stock stall I couldn't pull **** from a dig and if I missed the hit, see ya. Change up the gears and do some more bolt ons and you'll be good.
Yes I need 3.73s to wake up my lt1 =D.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXY_RibGSEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEHASr_za8E

a couple grocery getters from the area -__-
Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I beat a challenger SRT8 at the track, he ran a 13.5 and I ran a 13.4 lol
Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM
8 Second Club

Gears and tires are all you need for most of them.

I had one of the SRT 8 Jeep's try to race me on the highway. He wasn't going to give me any room to get on the high way once he saw me coming up the on ramp. Once I saw him floor it I left it in 3rd and took it all the way up, he never expected a car going 30 mph slower than him would run away from his Jeep.

Last edited by fex77k; 11-20-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fex77k
Gears and tires are all you need for most of them.

I had one of the SRT 8 Jeep's try to race me on the highway. He wasn't going to give me any room to get on the high way once he saw me coming up the on ramp. One I saw him floor it I left it in 3rd and took it a all the way up, he never expected a car going 30 mph slower than him would run away from his Jeep.
Hehe now thats classic.

Quick Reply: Raced an R/T charger