LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Broken bolt in cylinder head !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken bolt in cylinder head !!

While removing the short headers to install EM long tubes , I broke a damn bolt in the cylinder head.

This is so frustrating , the process was easy until the stupid bolt broke.

what can I do ? remove the head ? if this was the only solution , is removing the head easy ? what are the steps ? is there anything I need to consider while removing/installing ? or just direct bolt thing ?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on where the bolt is and what's around it. If you can get at it you could try to deal with it. Were you able to remove the manifold? Is any of the broken bolt sticking out?

Broke some bolts in the exhaust of an old Ford and was able to get every one of them out with a right angle air drill and a set of Snap-On broken bolt extractors. It was tedious work and it was in a truck and I had some room. The set had hardened drill guides to drill the bolts without going off course and splined extractors you drove in the drilled hole to turn the bolt.

When I had mine apart I Heli-Coiled all of them. Mine were starting to strip from the previous owner's header installation and I didn't want to have to fight it later. If you end up removing the head I would do the same.

One tip. Someone will undoubtedly suggest welding something on the bolt to turn it out. Good idea but NO welding under the hood of that car unless you like replacing lots of electronic items and putting out fires.

Al 95 Z28
Old 11-25-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about a Picture?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

I know on my header install if it was the far back bolt on the stock headers than I was ok since the long tube headers used the second bolt hole. You could try the nut trick were you weld a nut onto the broken bolt and use that so remove it.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I must be the only guy with no welding ablity at home...
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

how far in the head did the bolt break? if you got the rest of the manifold/headers off could you get a vice grips on it and pull it from there? be sure to use some pb blaster or other penetrating oil on the rest of the bolts, I let mine soak for a few days and still had a couple seize and almost snap.

other than the method i said earlier, EZouts are your best bet... aside form removing the head all together.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
How about a Picture?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

use a bunch of penetrating oil on it, over a day or two of soaking off and on... then try an EZout/extractor... that's about it aside from taking the head off to get to it.

how's the weather Mohammed? Here in Afghanistan it's gettin chilly.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
use a bunch of penetrating oil on it, over a day or two of soaking off and on... then try an EZout/extractor... that's about it aside from taking the head off to get to it.

how's the weather Mohammed? Here in Afghanistan it's gettin chilly.

I hope I don't need to take the head off.

weather is very nice these days. What the hell you do in Afghanistan ?!! Come here and help me with the damn bolt lol
Old 11-25-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a very tricky spot to have a bolt break. like stated spray penetrating spray on it and let it sit. spray it afew times in the process. i would try a left handed drill before an ex-out. if the extractor breaks in the stud then your Really going to have issues.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mohammed
I hope I don't need to take the head off.

weather is very nice these days. What the hell you do in Afghanistan ?!! Come here and help me with the damn bolt lol
worst case scenario is you will have to, but wishful and creative thinking goes a long way.

Afghanistan... I mow lawns, same as I did in Iraq.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
That is a very tricky spot to have a bolt break. like stated spray penetrating spray on it and let it sit. spray it afew times in the process. i would try a left handed drill before an ex-out. if the extractor breaks in the stud then your Really going to have issues.
Yea, this is my position. I sent an extra set of heads to AI because I just couldn't see putting a stock set back on. But with a broken extractor in the broken bolt, the heads need to come off so you don't hurt the hole.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

before you get the drill out, try an awl and hammer to try and rotate the bolt out. it was worked for me tons of times.

Quick Reply: Broken bolt in cylinder head !!