LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which Valvesprings

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Valvesprings

I am gathering parts for my cam install. I have no idea which springs to get. Spring pressures, sizes and install height etc are another language to me. I want something that can just drop in easy and not break.

Cam specs:
Advertised Duration-278/286
Duration at .050-226/234
Lift with 1.6 rockers- .560/.565
LSA-110

Im planning on spinning to around 6300 rpms. I was planning on running my stock lifters but Im thinking of upgrading to LS7 lifters just for peace of mind.

From what Ive read the two most popular kits are the Crane 10308s and the Patriot Golds. Ive also seen guys on here running the cheap Alex Parts kit that are supposed to be re-branded springs for a cheaper price.

What will work best for my setup and drop in easiest? Has anyone broke an Alex Parts Spring yet? And if you dont mind how do I figure install height and all that stuff when swapping springs out?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try comp cam 918s or Pac 1218s they are both good to a 600 lift
Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are you getting the cam from? There should be a suggested valve spring p/n on the cam card. Always run with that first.

Also, the 10308s is the part number for the entire VS kit, not the springs (which is p/n 99893).
Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had great luck with the Patriot Gold 8501B springs. For less than 300 bucks you get spring seats, springs, Titanium retainers and super 7 locks. I've used about 6 sets and have had no issues. After a head job on one engine I checked the spring pressures. After 12,000 miles and using a .576 lift XFI cam the pressures were down to 390 pounds from 415. This is to be expected with any spring.

I guess what made me start using them was a post from Tony Mamo at AFR. Here is what he said about them:

That being said, Patriot Performance is not in the "valve spring business"....they purchase them from a manufacturer that supplies many springs to many different companies. I like to refer to them as "Patriot Springs" only because you guys can relate to the very good level of reliability these springs have provided out in the field. AFR's "standard spring" is the EXACT same spring purchased from the exact same supplier as the "Patriot Gold", however, we opted not to pay extra for the gold finish which is purely cosmetic. Some of our earlier 205's that shipped had the "gold" spring because we were in a time crunch and had to purchase them direct from Patriot at the time.

This spring has proven VERY dependable and AFR choose to use this spring based on the benefits of a dual spring design, it met our criteria for seat and open pressures, and the reliablity we saw out in the field has been phenominal....and a good portion of that input came from message boards such as this. We have hundreds of 205's out in the field currently, and so far we haven't heard of a single failure with that spring to the best of my knowledge (at least on an AFR headed engine).
That's good enough for me.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Where are you getting the cam from? There should be a suggested valve spring p/n on the cam card. Always run with that first.

Also, the 10308s is the part number for the entire VS kit, not the springs (which is p/n 99893).
Cam should be here tomorrow. Ill look at the cam card and see what they say. Its a Howards Grind. A few of the local guys have been running them in vortecs and sbc's like them so Im going to try one in my LT1. If it performs poorly its my fault for going against the grain and trying something different. I understand Le, CC503, and AI cams are proven. I figure they will give me a part number to one of their springs for a regular SBC and Im not sure if it will just drop right into an LT1 head.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Patriot Gold Extremes along with new LS7 lifters, Comp 1.6 Ultra rockers and Comp hi tech pushrods.

What do you plan on for pushrods and rockers?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
I have the Patriot Gold Extremes along with new LS7 lifters, Comp 1.6 Ultra rockers and Comp hi tech pushrods.

What do you plan on for pushrods and rockers?
Ive got comp Pro mags and plan to go with either Trickflow hardened pushrods or comp, whichever I can find cheaper. Im gonna measure them before I order.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is "close" to the specs of the custom cams that both LE & AI recommend for stock heads. I have seen Loyd say that Howards has a very good budget spring in a few threads on this site. Maybe try searching LE, Howards and valvespring all at the same time? IDK I never can find what I'm looking for using the search function without hours of random posts to read through. lol
Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't just go for what you fnd cheapest on pushrods. All your valvetrain investments will be worth nothing if you run cheap pushrods. They are just as important as your springs...a cheap pushrod will flex and cost you valvelift while failing to keep the valves under control at high RPMs. For example, a setup that should peak at 6500 may fall off at 6000 and be short a TON of power from what was expected. Then it gets blamed on the can, heads, or springs when in fact it was because of the cheap $60 pushrods.

Pushrods are one of the many places a lot of lt1 owners skimp on and end up not meeting their goals.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with PAC 1518 springs for a similar cam, they are the same as the 1218s but nitride treated to be more durable.

You can pickup a set for about $200.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still haven't bought springs or pushrods. My cam card doesn't have which springs they recommend. Basically I have everything now but lifters, springs, pushrods, timing set, and ewp.

I think I'm just going to change the cap and rotor on my opti.

Puck, what do you recommend for pushrods? I thought most people ran the trickflows and comps with no probl3ms.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1963SS
I've had great luck with the Patriot Gold 8501B springs. For less than 300 bucks you get spring seats, springs, Titanium retainers and super 7 locks. I've used about 6 sets and have had no issues. After a head job on one engine I checked the spring pressures. After 12,000 miles and using a .576 lift XFI cam the pressures were down to 390 pounds from 415. This is to be expected with any spring.
Those are the exact same ones i have waiting to be installed. However im missing the valve stem seals. Do you know if i can just buy some replacement seals at a local autostore or do i need to go to patriot and get em?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I still haven't bought springs or pushrods. My cam card doesn't have which springs they recommend. Basically I have everything now but lifters, springs, pushrods, timing set, and ewp.

I think I'm just going to change the cap and rotor on my opti.

Puck, what do you recommend for pushrods? I thought most people ran the trickflows and comps with no probl3ms.
Depends on your spring pressure, cam lobe, and RPM range you will be spinning.

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Those are the exact same ones i have waiting to be installed. However im missing the valve stem seals. Do you know if i can just buy some replacement seals at a local autostore or do i need to go to patriot and get em?
I have some new Felpro valve stem seals for stock heads if you need 'em.

Quick Reply: Which Valvesprings