LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New TB and car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TB and car won't start.

The car is a 1994 9C1, to begin with the car ran great, until I pulled the good, stock TB, with all sensors,(IACV, and TPS) to get my Trans Am running. Well, I ended up selling the Trans Am, with my TB, coolant crossover, and all sensors. I figured I'd just buy another TB, and reinstall. I went ahead and bought a new Water Pump, and took care of a little leak that it had, and intalled the BBK 52MM TB, with a new TPS, and old IACV.

This is where it all gets weird. I parked the car in December(last year it ran fine). Went to Iraq for 7 months, came back and got the Water Pump installed. Went back to Iraq, came home last week and completed everything else. I bought a new battery, and tried to start it, nothing! But, the Fuel Pump isn't making the normal hum when the ignition is turned on. I drained the fuel, added more good gas, slotted the TPS to adjust it slightly, nothing. It sucks this car has never let me down, could the FP have gone bad just sitting? It just turns over, never starts, it hit a couple times and acted like it was going to run then died. I checked all the fuses and blocked off the normal coolant passages for throttle body bypass, help please!

-SS
Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

You need to check the fuel pressure first. I will take a WAG and say the pump is done.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got back from parts store with new pump, filter, and intank mesh sock. Getting ready to drop the tank, wish me luck!

-SS
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a dead pump. Im wondering also if the fact you havent set your TPS voltage up properly. Have you checked what it reads? If the TPS doesnt read atleast i think .2v it will not start and throw code. I had that issue with mine and is very common on aftermarket tbs.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Sounds like a dead pump. Im wondering also if the fact you havent set your TPS voltage up properly. Have you checked what it reads? If the TPS doesnt read atleast i think .2v it will not start and throw code. I had that issue with mine and is very common on aftermarket tbs.
It was the fuel pump, it started right up!!! Now I'm trying to get the idle right, it's surging a little. How do I set the TPS, never done that before?

-SS
Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Think you need a volt meter, Btw...How did you slot the TPS? any good write ups?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
Think you need a volt meter, Btw...How did you slot the TPS? any good write ups?
Just used a dremel with a small stone rotary file to slot the holes a little longer for adjustment, the BBK instructions actualy noted that it may need to be done to achieve factory TPS readings.

-SS
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm going to do some searching to find out how to do the TPS voltage check and get that squared away. I'm really happy to have gotten her running again today, it's been nearly a year, thanks guys!

-SS

Quick Reply: New TB and car won't start.