LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which one?

I am rebuilding a 94 Camaro, fairly mild build, stock cube rebuilt engine (all stock short block) mods are small cam (Crane 227), 1.7 RR, LE1 heads and air, egr, smog delete all on a mid sized stall and stock 3.23 gears on Nitto Nt05 drags. Goal was 310-325whp before a power adder.

So here is the question......

Rear mount Turbo or Nitrous? I had planned to go turbo and purchased all the parts from fellow forum members, even left the stock manifolds on because that was the advise given. I recently found (from another forum member) a brand new NX nitrous MAF kit so I purchased that too. From my reading, the turbo boost will need to be limited due the the higher compression of the LT1 and to get to 150 whp I will be pushing the limit at about 7-8 lbs. On the other hand the nitrous can be pilled to 100/150 and from reading, the higher compression is not a bad thing for the nitrous. So with both on the garage shelf, which way would you go with?

Advise??
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use both....
Since your rebuilding, why not lower compression and make a turbo motor and use the nitrous
Get some dished pistons and either rework the stock rods or get some better ones, internally balance it and enjoy both..
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Use both....
Since your rebuilding, why not lower compression and make a turbo motor and use the nitrous
Get some dished pistons and either rework the stock rods or get some better ones, internally balance it and enjoy both..
Engine is back in the car. Either option (rear turbo or the nitrous) can be added without removing the engine again (what a PiTA).

So which one if it were your car, this is not a DD.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Come one guys, way to much knowledge in here not to have some opinions. Just looking for some help.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the heads been touched at all lowering the cc's? If its stock compression roughly 10.5:1 your are playing with fire and yes it can run safe on the right tune but its still a high gamble. Nitrous is your best bet as ive seen alot of stock lt1s take alot nitrous abuse. Again not the smartest thing to do but it can be done. Just hope you didnt spend alot to have the current motor rebuilt as you will be doing it again in the future
Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Have the heads been touched at all lowering the cc's? If its stock compression roughly 10.5:1 your are playing with fire and yes it can run safe on the right tune but its still a high gamble. Nitrous is your best bet as ive seen alot of stock lt1s take alot nitrous abuse. Again not the smartest thing to do but it can be done. Just hope you didnt spend alot to have the current motor rebuilt as you will be doing it again in the future
Heads are not milled. So should I plan on nitrous? My guess if i can not use the turbo now, I will build the original (spare) engine then go with the turbo once a property built engine is ready. Should I start with the nitrous at 100 wet? Is turbo always a no go on a stock LT1?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

If this is a DD, id go with the nitrous. Boosted motors longevity with high compression is low. Much easier in the long run to just use nitrous with the rebuild. Cheaper as well. Get a motor on the side and build a low compression for the turbo. That way instead of pushing 4-5lbs max you could run 10-12lbs. I've run 175 shot on stock LT1's a bunch. It holds but will blow a head gasket after very little time. Ive found that headstuds and copper head gaskets, will let you spary 175 on a DD for years. I sold the car and its still going (car had 11.3 to 1 compression).
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Back to the top. Leaning toward the tubro because of the uniqueness but nitrous seems safer from those that posted. If it were your car and not a DD, which way would you go? Looking for a go fast weekend car that will rarely see the track. 425 wheel would be the high target.

Thx
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At 425rwhp being the high target I'd do heads and cam and not mess with nitrous or turbo at all.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

What's your budget? The nitrous will be a lot cheaper than a turbo setup. I'd pick one or the other, (or just get ported heads and a bigger cam would be most reliable) or your motor won't be lasting very long. nitrous+boost+stock bottom end= boom! You need lower compression to make running a turbo worth it (ability to run lots of boost) IMO.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ahritchie
What's your budget? The nitrous will be a lot cheaper than a turbo setup. I'd pick one or the other, (or just get ported heads and a bigger cam would be most reliable) or your motor won't be lasting very long. nitrous+boost+stock bottom end= boom! You need lower compression to make running a turbo worth it (ability to run lots of boost) IMO.
No budget constraints. I have the turbo kit and the nitrous in the garage. I am tring to bring this car back from the grave. Full new drivetrain, interior, paint, wheels, looking to spend about 15k in the next few months. This car has history for me so looking to make it as nice as 15k will allow.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
No budget constraints. I have the turbo kit and the nitrous in the garage. I am tring to bring this car back from the grave. Full new drivetrain, interior, paint, wheels, looking to spend about 15k in the next few months. This car has history for me so looking to make it as nice as 15k will allow.
Must be nice....LOL. In that case, build a proper turbo ready forged 355 or 383 (3-4K) with a custom ground cam for the turbo, then you can boost the hell out it...should be no problem to get 500whp with 12lbs of boost or so. If that's still not enough you could do a small shot of nitrous. Of course, the rear end and trans need to be upgraded to handle that type of abuse.

Quick Reply: Which one?