LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Yes I'm making another thread, but kinda good news.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes I'm making another thread, but kinda good news.

So you guys probably know me pretty well by now, the guy that has a car that hates him, and constantly has questions on how to fix it. Today I went to start my car and after it primed it started and right away it died. I did this about 5 times, on the 5th time I held the gas down and it ran, and at 3000 rpms it just stopped right there, I let off the gas and it died.
The good: the pump sounds fine and doesn't make any odd noises or sound weak. I primed it a few minutes ago without starting it and it primed and I heard a hissing sound come from under the car. So I'm guessing there is a leak somewhere or my filter is clogged.
My question: if there is a leak, are there any areas that are prone to leaking and whatnot?
I want to thank everyone for tolerating my constant questions and flood of threads.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you put a fuel pressure tester on there? A fuel pump can "sound" fine but does it have pressure? Does it have enough volume to support pressure? Do this then report back. If it were mine I would order a 255lph pump from WWW.racetronix.com site sponsor
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I don't have one, I wanted to see if there are any areas prone to leakage, hence the hissing sound.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The hissing also appears to be coming from the front of the car..
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

The hissing sound might be normal pump operation. If the pump is in ? you need to put a tester on the schreader valve located on the back side of the intake on the fuel rails. Operating fuel psi should be around 43psi. Hows the car Been running? Does it still have catalytic converters?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its been running very bad, no power, Code 64, stumbling, missing, just an overall pain in the *** to drive. ANd now today it just died and refused to run. I also don't have the money to rent one of those stupid fuel pressure test things. I'm hoping it isn't the fuel pump. I almost feel like its an injector because I'm getting a lean right bank code which to me sounds like an injector.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a vid of the sound, the camera is sitting on the throttle body.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stop bullshitting around and get a $30 test gauge. You make a ton of posts about problems you have...is $30 really too much to spend?

One of those "stupid fuel pressure test things" is a MUST-HAVE item for ANY LT1 owner's toolbox. With it you can accurately diagnose any fuel system problem, be it fuel pump, injectors, filter, rails, etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it is right now, don't ask why, my personal life is none of your business. I don't get payed until Friday and I won't be home over the weekend because I'm going to MEPS.
I do make a ton of threads but for the simple reason that I don't have a lot of money to spend on parts to fix this problem that randomly shows up.
But if it makes you feel better, I will go get a test gauge.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

And what the hell is a pressure gauge going to tell me? That my fuel pressure is dropping? I KNOW IT IS. My question is what the hell is causing it to drop. I already know what the gauge is going to tell me, I need to know what is wrong with the damn car, not something I already know, hence why there is a video posted above.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tell me...HOW do you know your fuel pressure is dropping without a gauge? Intuition?

And it's always better to keep all of your problems in one thread.

I didn't ask about your personal life, nor do I care.

And what's the point in asking for help if you're not going to listen? I've been doing this a hell of a lot longer than you have and know something about it.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The gauge will make you feel better-not someone else. It is a tool for diagnosing problems. It is impossible to know fuel pressure by sound. You can't already know what the gauge will tell you. Making a "ton of threads" is not a substitute for logical troubleshooting. Pretty soon, no one will want to help, because you resist advice on how to proceed.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll get a gauge then. I resisted because to me hissing sounds like pressure dropping. THis is the last thread I'll make.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good plan.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Get a gauge. Could be many problems, Troubleshooting is the only way to narrow down the problem. Keep in mind some of us do this for a living, a hobby, or both. Theres a lot of experience on here. You can rent a gauge from az or advanced. Once you return it you get your money back. But being a LT1 owner it is a valuable tool. Start with a psi reading. Could be as easy as a new fp regulator or and much as a pump.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Even if the pressure turns out good, the gauge is what tells you that and enables you to go on to other things. That is how troubleshooting works. Things have to be proven good or bad so you can isolate the problem. You gotta have the tools that help you do those things.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Pull the Vac. line off the regulator and see if any fuel comes out.

I'm guessing its the FPR, but a fuel gauge is still a must for diagnostics. Only way to read things like peak priming psi and see how fast it is leaking down.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jeez you can even get a fuel pressure gauge on loan from auto part store.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Normally when a person makes a thread like this that means they require assistance to solve a problem. When you see potential solutions you don't try to discredit them by what you feel may be the problem. After dealing with Lt1s since they began in '92 and working on cars at my own shop prior to that time I can definitely help troubleshoot, Joe (Ramair) has done a hell of a lot to get his car the way it is now so I am certain he has good insight as to what your problem may be. This is a family of enthusiasts and enjoy helping people in trouble.
Granted we may not have the exact answer however we can point you in a direction it's up to you how you wish to use your time and money.........My original suggestion stands get a pressure tester and be ready to purchase a fuel pump. Good luck
Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Pull the Vac. line off the regulator and see if any fuel comes out.

I'm guessing its the FPR, but a fuel gauge is still a must for diagnostics. Only way to read things like peak priming psi and see how fast it is leaking down.
My thoughts exactly. Also feel the regulator itself and see if there is fuel leaking there, or at the service port (schrader valve next to it). Although you'd probably have a VERY strong fuel smell if there was a leak big enough to 'hear.'

Quick Reply: Yes I'm making another thread, but kinda good news.