LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

So i've been doing some research and have decided to go with a set of a LT headers x pipe and sweet thunders and have a few questions.
1. Im going with the emissions style headers how much more of a PITA does this make the process if any and are any extra parts required (I read somewhere about needing to find a rubber elbow from a hardware store to attach the AIR to the LTs)
2. Which brand are the easiest to install? Like not requiring jacking the motor
3. Is rerouting the plug wires OTVC neccessary or is there any alternative like putting header wrap on the headers and then boots on the plug wires for instance?

Sorry I know these are probably silly questions but decided I want to start getting to know my car a little better. All i've done so far in the car world really is install CAI, Oil changes and some car audio im a total noooob
Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I assume your needing to pass emissions in California. In which case chances are you will fail just by moving the cat or cats from their original location. If you know somebody to help you pass then I would say the hardest part about installing emissions headers compared to off road headers would be the EGR tube on the rear passenger side. I have pacesetters and they just slipped right in after I removed the steering shaft. I also run the plug wires in the stock location tho I do have a sock on one of them and have had no problems.
P.S. some other useful information would be to add what year your car is and the transmission and mods. You can do this by creating a signature in the "user cp" section in the red bar at the top.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wysemunky
I assume your needing to pass emissions in California. In which case chances are you will fail just by moving the cat or cats from their original location. If you know somebody to help you pass then I would say the hardest part about installing emissions headers compared to off road headers would be the EGR tube on the rear passenger side. I have pacesetters and they just slipped right in after I removed the steering shaft. I also run the plug wires in the stock location tho I do have a sock on one of them and have had no problems.
P.S. some other useful information would be to add what year your car is and the transmission and mods. You can do this by creating a signature in the "user cp" section in the red bar at the top.
Ok thanx for the info man its a 97 M6 (Ill make a sig tho) and also did u have to unbolt ur motor mount for the pacesetters? And are New motor mounts neccessary when doing headers? i have 90k on the car.

Last edited by Bay_Area_Guy; 12-11-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Forgot somethin
Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of people go ahead and do motor mounts when doing headers even when not really needed. In theory it helps align the headers a bit and some say its easier to instal. Also its easier once youre already there. I definately would change em.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd do the mounts. My long tubes sit low and would rattle against the K member before I padded them with some header wrap.

There's no need for OTVC wires, just use some ties to keep the wires away from your headers.

I was going to keep my car emissions legal but...
1. There's no room for dual cats on my 96
2. I plan on doing heads + cam soon
3. Reconnecting the emissions controls was DREADFUL and left my exhaust full of leaks

The end of the EGR pipe wouldn't fit into the port on my emissions Pacesetters (crap welds + design). The EGR pipe was barely long enough to connect my headers to the intake manifold and took a bit of stretching + bending... this resulted in 2 gaping holes in the pipe that I discovered a month later. Also, the AIR fittings wouldn't screw on completely so the inner flange would not compress and seal.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did poly motor mounts while I was there and glad I did since my factory ones were completely wore out. It was hard for me to get the EGR tube off mine since it was so hard to get a wrench on the bolt and then when I did it just rounded the heads of the bolts off so I just cut the pipe since I was deleting it anyway. I did not have to jack the motor up once I got the steering shaft out of the way and got the car up in the air enough (6 ton jackstands).
Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Ok this info is great guys I think I have an idea of whats going on. Im still gonna go with the emissions but in terms of the motor mounts are Prothane Good Or solid Better? How does drivabilt differ im guessing u feel the motor a lot more with both compared to stock is it annoying?

Quick Reply: Header Question