LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Valve spring tap

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Valve spring tap

So I have been chasing a tapping sound which I thought was my lifter but after changing them, it didn't make a difference. Now I've pin pointed the sound come from the valve spring area. The spring u can see Looks fine.. Is there another spring in there that could be weak or broken? Or a valve guide loose? The tappIng only happens when the engine is warmed up and it's deff. Coming from the spring area. It's on the driver side 3rd rocker from the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPWC...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TY6o...e_gdata_player
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Try switching rockers with the poly-locs... Think'n rocker side load trunion issues here.

You have the beehive springs, so there is no other springs or anything aside from what u have, but be sure the spring in that pocket isnt broken or cracked (it happened once to me). The retainers look good, but u have to closely inspect for cracks, as well as the locks, but for that you'll have to pressurize the cylinder and remove rocker, locks and retainer. Let me know what u decide to do...
Old 12-17-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with Uwilllosetomy93lt1 i would try switching rockers to see if its that first . I had a rocker go bad in the trunion took me a week to figure it out . Also check the spring i wouldnt rev on it much in case the spring lets go completely
Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM

I have swapped rockers and that doesn't make a difference... I'm gonna have my mechanic look at it soon because there's nothing else I can do and when it comes to the valve spring area, idk what to do... Visually it looks fine but idk if the taping is coming from under the sprin or if its the spring itself...

Quick Reply: Lt1 Valve spring tap