LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What does this relay control? (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this relay control? (pic inside)

'95 firebird Formula, factory LT1/A4, currently lq4/th350
What does this control?:

I've got the dash out, and I'm ditching all the useless wiring that's in there (HVAC, Air bags, ABS, cruise, etc) but I'm keeping the radio, power windows and locks, steering wheel controls, stock auto shifter.

Any help would be appreciated, I started modding my under hood harness and engine harness, and now I'm back tracking to the dash harness for everything that's basically dead-headed at the main bulk head connector.
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

where was the relay located?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the neutral safety/theft deterrent relay but that's just a blind guess.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

It's located over on the passenger side of the dash, around the glove box.
I could believe it being part of a neutral safety switch deal, if I remember correctly, the orange/black wire, or tan wire leads down to the connector on the shifter. If so, I'll ditch it, because I've completely bypassed the VATS system and the computer will be tuned accordingly, so when I hit the key, it's gonna crank for sure (if in park or neutral of course)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I took my dash out last winter and I can't remember for sure, but I think I tried starting the car without that and it wouldn't start.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks like the hatch release relay. It would be connected to the shifter range switch if an auto. If you want to retain remote release of your hatch, you'll need to keep it.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
Looks like the hatch release relay. It would be connected to the shifter range switch if an auto. If you want to retain remote release of your hatch, you'll need to keep it.
Makes sense to me. I know you can't pop the hatch while cruising down the road (as If there were ever a need to?)

Im gonna see if I can ditch the relay and bypass the shifter wiring, or wtleast relocate it to clean up some of the clutter under the dash. This would give it full power as if it were alway in park basically.

Thanks! Tracing down the wires usually gives ms some idea as to what something goes to, but this wasn't really leading to anything in particular.

Quick Reply: What does this relay control? (pic inside)