LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

backfire from the throttle body and problem with gas and oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfire from the throttle body and problem with gas and oil

I have a 95 convertible formula. 1/1037. The car its self has 233k on it and just put a put new motor with 121k on it. Trany is a jasper auto 4l60e that the linkage is off also. Park is reverse. But the main problems is that its backfiring from the throttle body, problems with getting gas to the engine, fuel pump will turn on 2/10 times, its spitting junk out of the exhaust, spiiting black smoke when it chokes and sputters, doesn't wanna stay on when u let go of the throttle. I really need help. Ik the engine is still good. Its out of my friends ta and I wanna keep the car. Hopes its something I can just do myself or have friends help. Please help!!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are about a thousand things it could be.

Back firing through the intake. Check another 17 times you don't have a plug wire crossed anywhere. I miss wired one time and had to check it a few times before I caught it.

Have you touched the opti?

Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail?

When the pump dosn't turn on is it getting power back to the pump?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Checked the fuel presure and there has hardly anything at all. I put a new filter on it and still same thing. When I get payed this Friday I'm getting a new pump and checking the firing order and everything. And doing the linkage in my trany. I haven't touched the opti was told not to but I should check it out since everyone else says I should. If its not the pump, bad gas, plugs, wires, or opti what else could it be? I'm a noob when it comes to the electronic stuff. And if I get it scanned.. what error codes should ibe looking for?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fuel is a main reason its not running correctly lol, if there was incorrect fuel pressure it will run awful. Change the pump and go from there.

If that still dosn't fix it I would do a compression test and make sure everything is still in order.

Id bet the fuel pump cures a few issues.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pressure problems do not have a code really. It's not monitored buy the PCM. Low or high fuel pressure on the rail will cause other Trouble Codes as well as make it run like crap but there are none related to fuel pump failing. Like ZFreie said it sounds like it's time to change the pump.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't want to drop the rear end and tank I would recommend the trap door mod. If done correctly you'll never even know you cut a whole in your car. Will save you a lot of time.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-mod-pics.html
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Thank guys. I'm putting the new pump on this weekend and ill try the pump door mod. I have a friend that's don't it to his 3ed gen camaro. Ill come back and let u guys know what I've found out and see how. Things go. ill update asap. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: backfire from the throttle body and problem with gas and oil