LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?

I have poly motor mounts and poly trans mount installed on my car. I know that its normal to feel more vibrations than with the stock rubber ones, but what I'm not sure about is that when I"m shifting there is some sort of vibration/grinding type feeling through the shifter when the car is in motion. It happens in between gears after pushing the clutch in. Is this normal or are the mounts causing some sort of alignment issue? Hope this makes sense.
Yes I searched.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way new mounts could cause your transmission to grind is if the trans isn't bolted securely to the engine.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Sounds like worn syncros IMO.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FocusVince
I have poly motor mounts and poly trans mount installed on my car. I know that its normal to feel more vibrations than with the stock rubber ones, but what I'm not sure about is that when I"m shifting there is some sort of vibration/grinding type feeling through the shifter when the car is in motion. It happens in between gears after pushing the clutch in. Is this normal or are the mounts causing some sort of alignment issue? Hope this makes sense.
Yes I searched.

My 93' also has this strange vibration issue also. Did you have this issue before your poly mounts? If you did, my buddy (Old timer GM cert. tech) thinks perhaps an engine/trans thrust angle issue here and recommends shimming poly-trans mount-engine mount to find correct angle and also to square-off the transition to driveshaft. He remembers a GM recall back in 1994 for this particular issue...
Old 12-27-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

No this wasn't an issue before the mount change. It sounds like the angle could be off, but I'm not sure any more opinions out there? If it is the thrust angle then how would I go about checking that and fixing it?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

And now I do remember, after changing the trans mount and grinding off the bumps (Energy Suspention tranny mount) the mount was still maybe a quarter inch thicker than the stock rubber mount. So to compensate I added washers between the trans crossmember and the car.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

My buddy shimmed mine and the vibration went away. I wasnt there to see him do this but he did use a magnetic angle finder and ended up using a shim plate for the passenger side engine mount to fix issue...it worked though! It's been awhile, there might have been other stuff he did. He had my car all day.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see, so he shimmed the motor mounts?? Hopefully someone will come in with recommendations on how to do it. This sounds like my problem..
Old 12-27-2011, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

I used the factory housing with the Energy Suspension poly mounts, thinking the factory mounts were worn. The vibration was still there. Ultimately I took my Camaro to my GM buddy where he fixed my issue.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a Prothane poly trans mount instead of Energy suspension...I have a Prothane one with no issues; they only cost $20.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?