LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gas in oil pan.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in oil pan.

Went to drop off the long tube headers I bought recently at my storage unit and I looked down to notice the concrete looked like it was wet. Looked under the car to see this.

The oil is real runny, smells like gas as well. I checked the dipstick and its registering as almost full but the color of the oil is faint and almost clear. Smelled the dipstick and reaks of fuel.

What could possibly be wrong? Car has been sitting for a little over a month. Leaks a small drop of oil every couple of days from the drain plug.

Oh I put Sta-bil in the tank when I filled it up before storing it and drove around for 10-15 minutes to get it in all the lines but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Just trying to give all the stuff I did before storing it.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe an injectors stuck and filled a cylinder when you parked it. Leaked past the rings and ended up over filling the pan. Very hard to tell what the issue is without checking some things out first.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test the fuel pressure with out starting it and see if it leaks down. It should hold. Could be a bad regulator as well. when they go bad some of them will leak into the vacume housing and leak fuel into the intake. you can pull the vac line off when you test it and see if the housing leaks or if fuel starts comming out where the vac lin hooks up. It's hard to imagine that the remaining pressure would leak that much fuel into the engine though. Is the batt dead?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest not running that motor another minute until you figure it out. You will wash out the rings and ruin the motor driving it with too much gas in the oil...not to mention the viscosity will work the bearings too hard.

Pull the oil...put cheap oil back in it...drain it...put GOOD oil to help wash out as much of that fuel as possible. You will want to do this AFTER you think you have found the prob. GL
Old 12-29-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Same thing is happening to me as well. I do know I had at least 1 cylinder full of gas. Time to check injectors and the regulator.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the plugs and turn it over also so you don't bend a rod and valves. Do as said above as well
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

I had a long description about when the battery died a week or so before I stored it but my computer crashed so I'll just summarize it.

Battery died a week before parking it for winter. Took a bit of effort to get it to start after I had jumped it to keep it running. Ran like it had a miss for a little bit so I let it sit over night thinking I had flooded it. Started it the next day and ran fine.

Pulling the injectors this weekend to ship them out to get tested. While I'm there I'll test the fuel pressure regulator. Its an aftermarket aeromotive one I believe.

Car sits at about 35-40psi when the fuel system primes before I start it usually. It has been a while since I've started the car and looked at the gauge. The lowest I've seen the pressure gauge fall to is 30-32psi when fuel is low.

I appreciate all the advice and will be doing all the stuff stated above. I plan on draining the oil putting clean oil in running it for 5-10 minutes then draining that to put good fresh oil in.

Anyone have any idea how the oil/fuel got out of the pan tho? I understand a stuck injector could fill the pan but the other issue is where could it come out of? I won't be able to jack the car up till the weekend but if anyone can suggest some places to look besides the drain plug, pan gasket, oil filter which I already know to look at. Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

i have a aeromotive fpr also, and my car did the same thing. it was the regulator!!! pull the vacuum line of the frp, there will prolly be gas in it. basically there is a diaphram that goes bad that alows fuel to pass thru the vacuum line.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks 4SFEDZ I'll check it out because thats what I have. Gunna start poking around with the car on saturday.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A LOT of Aeromotive LT1 regulators have failed, burned a few cars to the ground even.

As said if the regulator leaks through the vacuum line or an injector leaks the fuel given time will leak past the rings and down into the oil.

Far as flushing it I would use whatever oil is on sale at advance with filter the cheapest because the first refill you wont be leaving in terribly long, why spend good money on oil that you might only leave in a day.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Took me a while to get time to go look at the car but I did yesterday. I pulled the vacuum line off the FPR and there was fuel in the line. I'll be ordering the rebuild for it and doing that but my other issue is how did it get out of the oil pan? The oil pan to me when I looked under the car appeared to be clean. I'm just hoping its not the oil pan gasket. Any ideas or suggestions on how it got out? When I cleaned the mess it was about a quart to a quart and half of fluid on the ground.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RossiZ28
Took me a while to get time to go look at the car but I did yesterday. I pulled the vacuum line off the FPR and there was fuel in the line. I'll be ordering the rebuild for it and doing that but my other issue is how did it get out of the oil pan? The oil pan to me when I looked under the car appeared to be clean. I'm just hoping its not the oil pan gasket. Any ideas or suggestions on how it got out? When I cleaned the mess it was about a quart to a quart and half of fluid on the ground.
To get the gas out of the oil, change the oil. Easy.

Once you change the oil, start the car. A leak of that magnitude should be pretty easy to locate, despite there being a ton of places it could leak from.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I'd be paranoid enough to take the manifold off and prime the engine with fresh oil before starting, but that's just me...

Quick Reply: Gas in oil pan.