LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt4 crate engine with a carb...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt4 crate engine with a carb...

Hey Guys, new to the forum. I have a question. I Bought a 56 chevy with a lt4 carbed crate engine in it. It is a factory crate PART NUMBER 12371172. I am wanting to put a roots style blower on this. I have been running into trouble finding the right parts to make that work. I am ready to sell this one and build a Gen1 style small block. to ease the difficulty of this engine and its cam driven water pump. any idea what it is worth? carb to pan flex plate to waterpump. It has a lt4 hot cam installed and runs great with 10k miles on it... thanks Budd
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatbud89
Hey Guys, new to the forum. I have a question. I Bought a 56 chevy with a lt4 carbed crate engine in it. It is a factory crate PART NUMBER 12371172. I am wanting to put a roots style blower on this. I have been running into trouble finding the right parts to make that work. I am ready to sell this one and build a Gen1 style small block. to ease the difficulty of this engine and its cam driven water pump. any idea what it is worth? carb to pan flex plate to waterpump. It has a lt4 hot cam installed and runs great with 10k miles on it... thanks Budd
One of these?: http://www.s-series.org/htm/tech/GMP...ts/014-019.pdf

It's definitely a step up from a regular LT1 for someone wanting a carbed LT to put in a older car....I would say it's worth around $2000 or so with the low mileage.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Yep, thats the one. But it has the hot cam. and Holley 750dp on it that i wont need. Will this motor work as a fuel injected replacement? So i know how to try to sell it.... Thanks for the help Budd
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can just convert SBC heads to reverse cooled and run any gen1 intake or roots setup - you don't have to worry about the space limitations we do. Then just ditch the cam driven waterpump with an EWP and plug the hole in the timing chain.

If you are dead set on selling it anyway, you can probably get 2k for it complete. Its not a bad starting point to swap into a classic car and would be easier and more reliable then trying to source a potentially crappy one from a wrecked car or even worse - piece by piece...
Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks alot guys.... thats just what i needed...Budd
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Default LT4 Engine

Originally Posted by Fatbud89

I may be interested in your engine, what is your contact info?

Quick Reply: lt4 crate engine with a carb...