LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

broken low oil sensor in pan

Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken low oil sensor in pan

my low oil sensor broke off in the pan. any problems with running it like that. i have a moroso pan.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

dont quote me on this but as long as its in 1 or 2 pieces, u should be fine. as long as it cant make it past the screen on the pickup
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone else had this problem. Was going to refill with oil and drain. Maybe can get some pieces out.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you'll be fine. Your pan has trap doors and baffles and the piece(s) is likely below those. I have a canton pan and was grinding down my dipstick (not the tube, the stick) because it wouldn't clear the pan / main caps. Well, I had it to where it would almost clear and I pulled it out to grind a little more off and the end of it broke off. Anyway I messed around with trying to pull the pan but could get it out of there without pulling the transmission and I could not find the piece that broke off even with an endoscope and also using a flashlight to peer through where I had the pan hanging down.

I went to a science store and bought the strongest magnet they had and threw it on the bottom of the pan. I haven't had any problems. I'm not sure if that will help though because IIRC the sensor is plastic.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

I ran my TA 3 years with a piece of that sensor broken in the pan. Just cleaned the pan out today. No problems. It was always in the back of my mind though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken low oil sensor in pan