LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil coming out of throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil coming out of throttle body

i have a new motor thats got alot of oil blow by. nothing is cracked and pistons/rings are good as well as gaskets. its also good good vacuum. the instructions for my ring say to use a restrictor with 1/16 orifice in the fresh air inlet hose to remove all pressure from crankcase without pulling oil into the induction system. i was gonna try that but then seen a post about using a catch pan. idk what to do at this point
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sorry *** ring set did you get that is telling you to restrict the crankcase fresh air inlet? Do you see smoke if you pull the oil cap off with the engine running?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 05HD
What sorry *** ring set did you get that is telling you to restrict the crankcase fresh air inlet? Do you see smoke if you pull the oil cap off with the engine running?
Hum a lifted ring land?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
A lot of times a hardened top ring wont seal at idle for ****... If it says run a restrictor thats what I what I would do.

Better yet is a vacuum pump
Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont knoe why u would say sorry *** ring set because the are TOTAL SEAL TRUE GAPLESS and it says so right on their instructions so thats what i am planning on doing.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LigHtEmUp01
i dont knoe why u would say sorry *** ring set because the are TOTAL SEAL TRUE GAPLESS and it says so right on their instructions so thats what i am planning on doing.
I say sorry *** because the compression rings job is to keep combustion pressure in the chambers and out out of the crankcase. If they are forcing oil up the fresh air inlet, they obviously don't do that job very well. Total seal gapless rings in particular are especially horrible in my experience. There is absolutely no reason to run a ring that will not seal at idle or any other engine speed on any LT1, I don't care how much spray or boost or compression you think you are going to run.

If I were you, I'd take the engine apart and fix it. It is obviously not working right. The Mexico made 4.3s with all the ring gaps lined up don't barf oil out of the throttle body. Hell, a 300,000 mile small block will not do that either.

Quick Reply: oil coming out of throttle body