LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Abs inop

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Abs inop

does this mean Anti Lock Brakes Inoperation? it came on when i hit the rev limiter after the shift. Saw that that the hose that connects to the radiator was leaking on the drivers side because the clamp was loose. I tightened it and took care of that so what is ABS INOP and can i drive it like that with the light on?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what it means. It could be that your 3rd brake light is out. Mine turned on and that was the cause..

Not sure if it has to do with the rev-limiter, and if it does then I don't know why.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Mine came on because i was doing donuts in the rain. When my light came on i just drove it for like 5 mins normally and it went away.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It means there is a malfunction indication in the ABS system and ABS won't function until it is cleared. You can still drive the car.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
It means there is a malfunction indication in the ABS system and ABS won't function until it is cleared. You can still drive the car.
Could that cause because coolant was leaking on those wires?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When my brake MC failed, I felt a bump in the pedal and the abs inop light came on, replaced the MC and it went away.

MC had a ever so slight leak, car still drive fine, but braking power was down a little.

Just throwing that out there as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LTX
Could that cause because coolant was leaking on those wires?

Thanks
IDK, did the wires at the ABS motor get soaked? Did you clean and dry it all up, if it did?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
IDK, did the wires at the ABS motor get soaked? Did you clean and dry it all up, if it did?
Yes and Yes. the abs motor is the silver unit under and adjacent to the intake filter?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed. Mine popped on a couple days ago after jacking up the passenger side to replace the opti cap. I've drove it about 40 miles since and it hasn't went out. I'll check the 3rd brake light when I leave work.

Mine turned out to be the ABS Valve connector unplugged at the Module on the driver's fenderwell. IDK how it got disconnected. Found it by testing power at my fuses. None were low, but the fuse for it had very low voltage. Hope this helps someone.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you take it to a dealer you can have it scanned (the BCM, not the PCM) and pull the ABS-specific system codes to help track down your problem.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Joe said, a dealer or larger service facility will have the tools to scan and see what the exact cause of the light is. Trying to fix it other wise would be kind of like if you had an SES light, never scanned to see what it is and started throwing parts at it to clear it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

While I agree with the above couple of posts....at least check out what you can yourself first. The free/simple stuff. Alot of these threads point to the third brake light being out. In my case, I checked my fuses at my underhood fuse block with a battery powered test light after a suggestion from a friend. I was going to merely pull the fuses and give them a visual. If I had, it would have taken longer for me to find my problem. Anyway, my ABS Valve fuse was good, but it barely lit the test light which pointed to low voltage for that circuit. That was checked with a multi-meter. The others showed 12+ while it was down around 2.5v. Found out the "ABS valve" is right on top of the ABS module and it had a connector un-plugged. It was kind of hidden behind the CAI and under the fuel lines. Plugged it in and the light went right out. I have no idea how it got un-plugged.

Quick Reply: Abs inop