LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

TPS adjustment

Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS adjustment

How do you adjust the tps on a 1996 ODBII lt1 motor?

Last edited by Camaroking1996; 01-14-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You can't with a stock TPS unless you slot the bolt holes. You can buy an adjustable one if need be.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned

All you have to do is slot the screw holes in the TPS with a drill or dremel so you can pivot it. You use a voltmeter and probe one of the wires with the positive (check www.shbox.com for which wire), then ground the other probe. After you make your adjustment to the throttle blades or just the tps, whatever you have to do, you have to make sure the voltage reads properly... I believe its .55V but again check shbox.com for the proper voltage.

Hope that helps I've had to do it quite a few times
Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Stock TB and TPS should need no adjustment. That is why there is no capability as stock. If you are dealing with something other than stock, say so.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

H/C/I bolt on lt1.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
H/C/I bolt on lt1.
What about the TB? That is what I meant.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

BBK 58mm
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

http://www.golenengineservice.com/do.../Adj%20TPS.pdf

You can also use a scanner to look at the TPS voltage. Easier that way.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would you like to do things RIGHT or would you like to do things the way you asked about and Golen provides instructions for?

I had a GREAT link on the topic but it went dead recently, probably doesn't matter anyway since most people like yourself couldn't care less about how to do something RIGHT.

Basically though The aftermarket TBs don't have an IAC bleed hole like the stock TB, you need to drill one and figure out how much larger than stock it needs to be. You also need to seal the IAC circuit on most aftermarket TBs because instead of channeling it into the little 1/2"ish hole between the main TB holes most let that air dump into the plenum which allows the front cylinders to steal all the air at idle. The small hole between the main TB holes on the front of the intake distributes idle air through the same circuit as the EGR and allows the cylinders to be fed more evenly.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Would you like to do things RIGHT or would you like to do things the way you asked about and Golen provides instructions for?

I had a GREAT link on the topic but it went dead recently, probably doesn't matter anyway since most people like yourself couldn't care less about how to do something RIGHT.

Basically though The aftermarket TBs don't have an IAC bleed hole like the stock TB, you need to drill one and figure out how much larger than stock it needs to be. You also need to seal the IAC circuit on most aftermarket TBs because instead of channeling it into the little 1/2"ish hole between the main TB holes most let that air dump into the plenum which allows the front cylinders to steal all the air at idle. The small hole between the main TB holes on the front of the intake distributes idle air through the same circuit as the EGR and allows the cylinders to be fed more evenly.
true, he should do that but that doesnt solve the problem he asked about. the iac routing has nothing to do with tps voltage.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is all one in the same problem, none of the aftermarket TBs are machined truly correctly and require modification to function right.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Why would you think I dont want to do this the right way and get it done? Already put it on a scanner and the tps was at 0.92.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Banned

I knew aftermarket tb's needed to be drilled, but what main tb holes are you talking about (the 54mm holes in the intake?) and what do you mean by the IAC circuit? Are you saying you need to seal off the IAC from incoming air completely?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
I knew aftermarket tb's needed to be drilled, but what main tb holes are you talking about (the 54mm holes in the intake?) and what do you mean by the IAC circuit? Are you saying you need to seal off the IAC from incoming air completely?

See how on the back between the two passages, they are opened up in the middle. You need to drill a hole right through the throtttle body in the middle hole, roughly same size as the stock throttle body. Also you need to make a piece to fit in there that will more or less keep the two passages seperate from each other. Still needs to have a hole right through tho for the iac air.

Its hard to picture. If my car wasnt under a tarp right now id go rip mine off and take a picture for you. I had to modifiy mine to get the car to idle properly.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Oh I know what you are trying to say. My Holley doesn't have that V shaped cut in the back, and I drilled the hole already. So I should be good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPS adjustment