LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water Pump Drive Install. How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Water Pump Drive Install. How do you do it?

Ok to make this real clear this time, I am talking about the water pump Drive that is located inside the timing cover that the end sticks through the timing cover. It has a bearing on the back of it and is pressed into the block just above the cam shaft. I also has a gear on it that is direct drive from the gear located on the back of the cam timing gear sprocket. This IS NOT the coupler, It is also Not the seal. I got the tools to remove and install it. I understand how the removal tool works but how do you reinstall it? Has anyone here ever done this? I have a factory manual that says use tool bla bla bla to reinstall but not really how to do it. Or I just have not found that part in the manual yet. Need some help.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

So many details I'm confused. If you are actually typing about the drive shaft that presses into the block then pound it in with a hammer and be done.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So many details I'm confused. If you are actually typing about the drive shaft that presses into the block then pound it in with a hammer and be done.
Yep. Nothing to it.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be able to use a C-clamp in the lifter valley and a big deep socket over the drive mechanism to press it in.

I've never reinstalled one, but that's probably what I would try before the hammer.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I just did this.. You can pound it out from the back. To reinstall, lube the race and the screws to it's mount plate will effortlessly press it back into place by simply tightening them evenly until they stop. Then tighten them to 100in lbs .Obviously the cam gear must not be installed untill the WP gear is in place. Try not to over complicate this.. It's child's play
Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to be sure so Thank you all for the responses.