LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car reving when pulled out of gear at stops

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car reving when pulled out of gear at stops

lately i have noticed that when i pull the car out of gear while coming to a stop sign/light the rpms will bounce around from about 1200 up to 2000 for a while until it finally goes back to idle. it continues to do this even after i am completely stopped and i can put the car in gear and slightly let off the clutch and it will immediatly stop doing this but i was wondering what could be causing this because its starting to get very annoying. what is causing this?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the throttle position sensor. Have you messed with the throttle body recently? The TPS is really fragile.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM

I would also like some info on this. I have exact same problem only mine came after getting my mail order tune. Nothing else was messed with.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

I did recently take the intake off to replace gaskets so the throttle body was messed with
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Think my old M6 did that too it had a pcmforless tune as well. Not sure why but just throwing it out there so you arnt thinking "mine is the only one that does it" type of problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Conventional wisdom would say that the IAC needs cleaned.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Launching!

I would say tps

http://www.golenengineservice.com/do.../Adj%20TPS.pdf
Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

My car did the same thing after PCM for less tune for cam, headers ect. I put in a new tps and IAC and didn't change anything. I e mailed them back and ask them what's up. I was told they don't get aggressive on the IAC programming or return to idle programing because a M6 car has a tendency to die with a larger cam. He told me to make a small adjustment to the throttle stop screw. I did that several times and so far it seem to be ok. It doesn't drop to idle immediately, kind of takes its time a second or so. But when it idles it does not jump around. He told me if I wasn't happy with it to send him back the PCM and he would adjust the tables.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rodinator1234
My car did the same thing after PCM for less tune for cam, headers ect. I put in a new tps and IAC and didn't change anything. I e mailed them back and ask them what's up. I was told they don't get aggressive on the IAC programming or return to idle programing because a M6 car has a tendency to die with a larger cam. He told me to make a small adjustment to the throttle stop screw. I did that several times and so far it seem to be ok. It doesn't drop to idle immediately, kind of takes its time a second or so. But when it idles it does not jump around. He told me if I wasn't happy with it to send him back the PCM and he would adjust the tables.
I have a pcmforless tune also converted to a m6 and adjusted the screw on it also seems to help
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rodinator1234
I have a pcmforless tune also converted to a m6 and adjusted the screw on it also seems to help
Ill have to give this a try thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You only adjust the stop screw if you IAC counts are not within spec, if they are, adjusting this will only cause surging, or prolong high idles. If the IAC are with in range then its in the tune. They need to go in and adjust the throttle follower tables..
Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Mine was tuned locally by a friend of the guy who owned car before me and I'm waiting o get mail order tune till after I put headers and tb on. Throttle does not jump around at idle once car is at operating temp and i dont have the problem from the op all the time maybe once or twice a day in town

Quick Reply: car reving when pulled out of gear at stops