LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Filters with Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Filters with Long Tube Headers

What do you guys run for oil filters with headers? I bought some used Dynatechs off of here and there is no way to get an oil filter on or off with the headers installed.

Joe
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Launching!

i guess your gonna have to do a remote mount for the filter. id wrap the lines with header wrap where they get close to the headers. i have hookers and have no issues with this. best of luck
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stuart4185
i guess your gonna have to do a remote mount for the filter. id wrap the lines with header wrap where they get close to the headers. i have hookers and have no issues with this. best of luck
That is what I figured.

Joe
Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

K&N makes an oil filter with a nut on the bottom. It's a bit pricey, but you'll save yourself the frustration.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

^^what he said. K&N FTW cause I couldn't even get my ACDelco off in the driveway. Even with the filter wrench cause there was just no room to crank it off.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We run the tall k&n. Edelbrock 1 7/8" and a diaper makes for a tight fit but its manageable.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetters on my car, I use the Delco 1218 filter.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

StraightTimeStirrups,

I run FLP LT headers -- pretty sure they're identical to the Dynatechs. Arguably the worst headers on the market for oil filter access (and plug access on #5/#6).

You can try to run an oil filter relocation kit if you wish, but I wouldn't recommend it -- you'd likely end up with a hose touching the header collector. I tried it, but it ended up leaking -- perhaps you'd have better luck.

The real fix here is to remove the factory oil cooler. I'm assuming you have one. That involves getting a new lower radiator return hose for a non-oil-cooler equipped vehicle (which connects from the lower-driver's-side radiator to the bottom-driver's-side waterpump fitting). You can then ditch the factory rubber/metal oil cooler lines on that side of the engine. IIRC, the oil cooler simply has a large nut around the center oil filter threads holding it to the block. The coolant lines I believe are held to the cooler housing with one bolt. Might be able to sell it for a good price -- apparently it was a more efficient design than used in later years, and it's discontinued. Don't worry, you won't miss it -- I noticed no difference with it gone, except for a bump in oil pressure (which is good).

After that, you should have room to install/remove the filter -- unless you have an aftermarket oil pan. My canton is flared out along the bottom, so I have even less room. Not sure if the Dynatechs use "leak-proof v-clamps" like the FLPs, but I undo the frontmost v-clamp on the left-bank catalytic converter and push it out of the way. That allows me to lift the filter over the header and down through the outside. You'll spill some oil, but it works. I always punch the bottom of the oil filter with an awl and hammer to let the oil drain so it doesn't make as big of a mess, but of course that's dangerous if the old filter gets stuck. If you can't get an oil filter wrench to work, I just hammer a screwdriver through the entire bottom section of the filter for extra leverage.

HTH
Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the thin fram or boshe. For being so bad it seems to work just fine for me.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

To be clear, my previous post only applies to Dynatechs/FLPs and 1992-1994 LT1s with factory-equipped oil coolers (RPO KC4).

I honestly don't know if any other headers necessitate it, and later model years may have had shorter oil cooler housings.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I know with my Kooks, I had to remove the oil cooler, and run a short filter.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Didn't have to remove anything with my Hookers, and the filter has plenty of clearance.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
StraightTimeStirrups,

I run FLP LT headers -- pretty sure they're identical to the Dynatechs. Arguably the worst headers on the market for oil filter access (and plug access on #5/#6).

You can try to run an oil filter relocation kit if you wish, but I wouldn't recommend it -- you'd likely end up with a hose touching the header collector. I tried it, but it ended up leaking -- perhaps you'd have better luck.

The real fix here is to remove the factory oil cooler. I'm assuming you have one. That involves getting a new lower radiator return hose for a non-oil-cooler equipped vehicle (which connects from the lower-driver's-side radiator to the bottom-driver's-side waterpump fitting). You can then ditch the factory rubber/metal oil cooler lines on that side of the engine. IIRC, the oil cooler simply has a large nut around the center oil filter threads holding it to the block. The coolant lines I believe are held to the cooler housing with one bolt. Might be able to sell it for a good price -- apparently it was a more efficient design than used in later years, and it's discontinued. Don't worry, you won't miss it -- I noticed no difference with it gone, except for a bump in oil pressure (which is good).

After that, you should have room to install/remove the filter -- unless you have an aftermarket oil pan. My canton is flared out along the bottom, so I have even less room. Not sure if the Dynatechs use "leak-proof v-clamps" like the FLPs, but I undo the frontmost v-clamp on the left-bank catalytic converter and push it out of the way. That allows me to lift the filter over the header and down through the outside. You'll spill some oil, but it works. I always punch the bottom of the oil filter with an awl and hammer to let the oil drain so it doesn't make as big of a mess, but of course that's dangerous if the old filter gets stuck. If you can't get an oil filter wrench to work, I just hammer a screwdriver through the entire bottom section of the filter for extra leverage.

HTH
Thanks, I think that is what I will have to do. My engine does have the Stock Oil Cooler on there!

Joe
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

K&n here.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Does the stock Fbody oil cooler tuck nice & close to the stock pan? The LT1 from a 95 caddy tucks the filter & cooler lines in close Most S10 swap guys use that one Prolly the same in caprice or any of the other grocery getters lol
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

U can get an oil filter for say a 95-96 Chevy truck, they are longer and fit right up.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
Thanks, I think that is what I will have to do. My engine does have the Stock Oil Cooler on there!

Joe
Forgot to mention -- after you remove the oil cooler, there'll be an adapter plate bolted to the block with two bolts/studs. You'll either have to cut those studs down, or buy new bolts, in order for the new oil filter to screw onto the adapter plate / engine block.

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 01-26-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kooks here, I run a Purolator PureONE. The new design is shorter than the old one, and fits pretty well.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a car with pacesetter LTs and a car with a set of Hooker LTs, I just order a filter for a 90 Cehvy PU with a 350 and 2wd, its about 2 inches longer than the stock LT1 filter and full width.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Delete the damn coolant/oil milkshake making oil cooler, plug the lines and put an oil filter on it.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters with Long Tube Headers