Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
LTX
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Pinging or Knocking

Today i was on the I-75 interchange to I-95 and while i was going up vertically(wasn't very steep) the car was hesitating a little and i always run 93 octane but the strange thing is it never done it before. Also when i rev it as soon as i push the pedal i hear & feel a thumping in the engine, is this pinging? and how bad of an issue is this?

Thanks
Project Build: 357ci LTX, AI 212cc Heads, Callies XL Crank, Callies or Carrillo H-Beam Rods, CP Carrillo 4.040 forged Pistons, Eagle 4 Bolt Main Caps, Clevite Main Bearings Cam and Mains, GM847 with 1.7RR .600+ lift, Aiming for Jesel Shaft Mount, Manley Nextek Springs, Titanium Spring Retainers, Manley Pushrods, Xceldyne Titanium Valves, LS7 Lifters, Custom Hogan Racing Manifold, Mono Blade TB, 42lb Injectors F.A.S.T ECU, Best on the Market Tune............. Daily Drivable....
LTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Pinging sounds like a marbles rattling in a can or similar to the sound a diesel can make. Sounds like you might have encountered a bad miss/backfire.
shbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
LTX
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbox View Post
Pinging sounds like a marbles rattling in a can or similar to the sound a diesel can make. Sounds like you might have encountered a bad miss/backfire.
Could the opti be going bad?

thanks
Project Build: 357ci LTX, AI 212cc Heads, Callies XL Crank, Callies or Carrillo H-Beam Rods, CP Carrillo 4.040 forged Pistons, Eagle 4 Bolt Main Caps, Clevite Main Bearings Cam and Mains, GM847 with 1.7RR .600+ lift, Aiming for Jesel Shaft Mount, Manley Nextek Springs, Titanium Spring Retainers, Manley Pushrods, Xceldyne Titanium Valves, LS7 Lifters, Custom Hogan Racing Manifold, Mono Blade TB, 42lb Injectors F.A.S.T ECU, Best on the Market Tune............. Daily Drivable....
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Sounds like your Callies xl crank isn't getting along with your "callies or carrillo" rods.
05HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Did you just fill the tank up? Maybe you got some bad gas.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
TECH Resident
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

Send a message via Yahoo to lt1slowz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTX View Post
Haha no not yet, im starting the build in 4 days, just want to make sure about stock computer for my backup LT1 because i bought an extra LT1 long block.
what in the hell are you talking about now?!

lt1slowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
LTX
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1slowz28 View Post
what in the hell are you talking about now?!
Lets not get off topic! i was simply asking about the hesitation my car makes going up hill.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
TECH Resident
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

okay, how about you describe the symptoms better, is it pinging, IE sounding like a can of spraypaint is being shaken really fast... or is it missing ( muffled, kind of like a puff of air in between regular engine noise) ... or none of the above...

are you using 93 octane? have you checked any of the plugs to pinpoint? EGR working? all sensors fine?

you need to do your part on this and properly diagnose that nasty blue camaro of yours...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
LTX
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1slowz28 View Post
okay, how about you describe the symptoms better, is it pinging, IE sounding like a can of spraypaint is being shaken really fast... or is it missing ( muffled, kind of like a puff of air in between regular engine noise) ... or none of the above...

are you using 93 octane? have you checked any of the plugs to pinpoint? EGR working? all sensors fine?

you need to do your part on this and properly diagnose that nasty blue camaro of yours...
Your damn right its nasty, did you not read my previous comments on this thread? all sensors are fine(knock sensors, ect.. I mentioned on my first comment i run 93 all the time and ill say it again. When i rev the engine sometimes, as soon as i push the pedal i hear & feel a thump sound in the engine. This sound doesn't go on, it doesn't repeat. it only does it once, as soon as i push the pedal fast. And i was also feeling a hesitation going up hill almost feels like its losing power.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to CamaroRacing12

mine has done this before as well. it turned out to be nothing.
273rwhp 292rwtq
CamaroRacing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
TECH Resident
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

Throttle lag? Sounds like a light miss / hesitation ...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
9 Second Club
1995 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 7

if it sounds like popcorn popping in a pan and gets worse with load its detonation........sounds like you have just a plain ole misfire.....seems like its worse when you are stompin on the throttle......fuel filter clogged? fuel pressure good? im voting on some type of fuel delivery issue.......check the regulator also.......gotta be something along those lines....
LTX Shootout MOD NA ET Record Holder
06 GTO M6 LS2 Torrid Red on Red--FAST 102, Advanced Induction HR Cam...437rwhp/409rwtq
quik95lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1994, camaro, cp, engine, knocking, load, ls1tech, lt1, missing, paint, pinging, pistons, sounds, spray, z28