LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96' formula fan issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' formula fan issues

Alright so I'm trying to figure out a fan issue on my friends bird. as title suggests its a 1996 LT1 with a 6spd. I just want to know all the possible known problems with these fans. An actual mechanic has tested the fans and he got them to work. But I have the car in my shop at the moment while its hiding from a snow storm. I went out the let the car warm up and it got Almost to the 4th hash mark on the temp guage and i decided to shut it off before it got to hot.

My camaro kicks the fans on around 235* (?) but the 96's had a 2 spd fan system didn't they?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Launching!

yes they did. grab a haynes manual for the wiring diagram. probably a bad relay if the fans work
Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Launching!

The 96 is a different system than my 94, but I have a similar problem. Mine has turned out to actually be a bad PCM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by englundjd
Alright so I'm trying to figure out a fan issue on my friends bird. as title suggests its a 1996 LT1 with a 6spd. I just want to know all the possible known problems with these fans. An actual mechanic has tested the fans and he got them to work. But I have the car in my shop at the moment while its hiding from a snow storm. I went out the let the car warm up and it got Almost to the 4th hash mark on the temp guage and i decided to shut it off before it got to hot.

My camaro kicks the fans on around 235* (?) but the 96's had a 2 spd fan system didn't they?
fan relays were common on those.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

some times on lt1s for some reason the fans quit working happened on two of mine changed eveything and still nothing so i wired mine up on switches but wired them where the computer could still turn them on if i figured it out and one day they started working again but you jus splice in to the green and blue wire in the fuse box on the fan relays and can wire them up on switches
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by charlie97z28
some times on lt1s for some reason the fans quit working happened on two of mine changed eveything and still nothing so i wired mine up on switches but wired them where the computer could still turn them on if i figured it out and one day they started working again but you jus splice in to the green and blue wire in the fuse box on the fan relays and can wire them up on switches
that's basically how mine are currently wired up. they're still wired to the computer, but they're also on a hotwire for the time being.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

ok, ill have him get a switch till we can track the issue down.n relays were checked by the mechanic that looked at it
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Check the coolant temperature sensor that's right in front by the water pump. If that's not sending the proper signal to the computer, those dans will never come on.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on the coolant temp sensor, mine went bad and my fans would not come on and my idle was all over the place as well. Scan it!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by englundjd

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling
Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Launching!

The other thong to check is the wire that runs from that sensor to the computer. It should be insulated and well enough out of the way that it's not a problem, but if that's getting too hot for some reason it could get brittle and break. That would prevent your PCM from ever getting the input it needs to turn the fans on.

Your fan system should basically consist of 3(?) relays, the coolant sensor on the motor, the PCM, the connecting wires, and the fans themselves. I wasn't sure if you knew that already, I just wanted to make sure you had the overview of what all you were trying to troubleshoot. If I missed something, I'd appreciate if someone filled it in. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

alright thanks guys, we'll start with the manual fan switch then we will have the temp. sensor checked and go from there. sorry it took so long to reply i dont have internet at my appartment lol
Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Its cool. Just keep us informed and let us know what you figure out.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

9* outside and i cant get the ford to start to move it lol no progress is gona get made on this till it warms up .. maybe next weekend

Quick Reply: 96' formula fan issues