LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBD 1 12pin to 16pin HATERS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD 1 12pin to 16pin HATERS!

94 (11/93 production date) M6, I have an actron OBD2 scan tool. Does anyone make an adapter or have a cheap conversion of the OBD2 plug for my 12pin? Just so we stay on the same page MY ECM plug under the dash is the 12pin. My OBD2 scan tool is the D shaped 16pin. Also if the cable you suggest has a computer plug on one end thats NOT IT. The adapter im looking for converts the 16 pin D to a 12pin and uses the OBD2 scan tool to read and display the codes.
I have an INNOVA gm code reader, but 94s do not flash codes with the check engine light. The ECM must be scanned. "Diagnostic Tools" from INNOVA
Q: When I try to pull codes on my 1994-95 Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am the fan comes on, but no codes flash, why?
A: Unfortunately, this is a known problem with this type of "F" Body car, and the code reader will not work. These vehicles are transition vehicles from OBD I to OBD II diagnostics and will require the use of a scan tool.

And i dont want to buy an OBD1 scan tool. If i have to do that, might as well pick up tunercat pro of a little more money.

Last edited by my number 1 hater; 02-07-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: change title again
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is your Actron scanner OBD1 compatible?

Naturally, you must use an OBD1-compatible scanner for an OBD1 PCM. The two systems are entirely different -- OBD2 doesn't even use the same baud rate (OBD2 communicates faster than OBD1).

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
"Diagnostic Tools" from INNOVA
Q: When I try to pull codes on my 1994-95 Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am the fan comes on, but no codes flash, why?
A: Unfortunately, this is a known problem with this type of "F" Body car, and the code reader will not work. These vehicles are transition vehicles from OBD I to OBD II diagnostics and will require the use of a scan tool.
Many (if not all) 1995 Fbodies had OBD1 computers with OBD2 diagnostic ports. That's most likely what the above quotation is referring to. Hooking up an OBD2 scanner to the 1995 OBD2 diagnostic port will not prove useful. You have to use an OBD1 scanner and physically jumper the pins to the 1995's OBD2 diagnostic port.

*If* your scanner is backwards-compatible with OBD1, and you just have the wrong data connector, then it might be feasible to jumper the data pins in a similar manner between the scanner and the car's diagnostic port. Cheap shop manuals show the corresponding OBD1/OBD2 port pinouts, but Shoebox no doubt has it on his site as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

*If* your scanner is backwards-compatible with OBD1, and you just have the wrong data connector, then it might be feasible to jumper the data pins in a similar manner between the scanner and the car's diagnostic port. Cheap shop manuals show the corresponding OBD1/OBD2 port pinouts, but Shoebox no doubt has it on his site as well.

I went to his site first, i can see the jumper from 16pin to a 12pin scan tool. And your right my OBD2 scan tool will NOT do both ODB1 and OBD2... Crab nuggets!!!!
Looks like i will have to buy:
1. Cable for my laptop, and find some free code reading software
2. Buy an OBD1 scan tool that reads and displays codes
3. Or Tuner cat pro, so i can pull codes and tune it for some DOPE
4. If i buy the tunercat pro do i have to buy the data file too?

Where can i get the best prices for this STUFF!

Last edited by my number 1 hater; 02-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
I went to his site first, i can see the jumper from 16pin to a 12pin scan tool. And your right my OBD2 scan tool will NOT do both ODB1 and OBD2... Crab nuggets!!!!
Looks like i will have to buy:
1. Cable for my laptop, and find some free code reading software
2. Buy an OBD1 scan tool that reads and displays codes
3. Or Tuner cat pro, so i can pull codes and tune it for some DOPE

Where can i get the best prices for this STUFF!
Well, first and foremost, I'd call around and see if any local automotive parts stores have OBD1 scanners. They typically only have OBD2 nowadays, but if they have it, places like Autozone will scan your codes for free.

It's been a while since I've been very active in the LT1 world, but you used to be able to download a free trial and make 20 runs with TTS Datamaster. It would require an OBD1 diagnostic cable ($50~$100 from places like AKMcables) to connect with a Windows-based laptop or desktop.

Alternatively, I'd recommend the Scanmaster LT1, assuming it's still being made. It's just a small diagnostic box with segmented LED display you can mount in your car (mine's on top of my steering column). On your 1994, it will display diagnostic codes, as well as all of the other sensor parameters (knock counts, block learns, injector pulsewidths, digital speedometer, TPS, IAC, MAP, etc etc etc.)

I'm sure there are other options.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will check that stuff out, thanks Bro.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Launching!

With Datamaster you get 20 free recording sessions and unlimited monitoring. I know the version of TunerCAT that I have was only for tuning and doesn't even have the capability to pull codes, etc.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garage_queen
With Datamaster you get 20 free recording sessions and unlimited monitoring. I know the version of TunerCAT that I have was only for tuning and doesn't even have the capability to pull codes, etc.
IS the datamaster a tuning software or just scan codes?
Datamaster is free software for 20 recording sessions?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Tunercat Pro just includes TTS Datamaster (to make it "pro", I guess). With Tunercat, you always have to include the correct definition file to be able to tune your particular car.

Freescan is free and Tunerpro RT was or still is.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

It looks like the Tunercat "Pro" package you mentioned contains everything you'd need -- including the $EE definitions file, PC interface cable, and I guess they include Datamaster now too. That's not a bad deal.

Datamaster is just a datalogging/scanning tool, useful for tuning as well as diagnostics. Tunercat is the tuning program you use to reflash the PCM.

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 02-07-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shbox
Tunercat Pro just includes TTS Datamaster (to make it "pro", I guess). With Tunercat, you always have to include the correct definition file to be able to tune your particular car.

If i install freescan on my laptop, I will just need the OBD1 12pin cable from car to laptop. And boom i can read codes and delete codes?

If so where can i get said cable? (good price working on my degree)
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
It looks like the Tunercat "Pro" package you mentioned contains everything you'd need -- including the $EE definitions file, PC interface cable, and I guess they include Datamaster now too. That's not a bad deal.

Datamaster is just a datalogging/scanning tool, useful for tuning as well as diagnostics. Tunercat is the tuning program you use to reflash the PCM.
With the data master i can scan and delete codes? And uses tunercats program to tune the car also.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Im in the same boat, I'll be watching this thread. My 94 already has a pcm4less tune but its throwing a code. For the price of a scan tool I could buy a cheap labtop and cable for the same price and later on maybe play with a tune.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maromatt
Im in the same boat, I'll be watching this thread. My 94 already has a pcm4less tune but its throwing a code. For the price of a scan tool I could buy a cheap labtop and cable for the same price and later on maybe play with a tune.
Not much to watch, here. The thread died back in February.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

yeah true just looked up and saw the 12, but thanks for your worthless post
Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sad........
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob has helped thousands upon thousands of LT1 owners over the past two decades providing correct unbiased information over the years, not to mention establishing and maintaining THE single greatest LT1 resource the community has ever seen.

IMO, he can post whatever the **** he wants.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I WILL GO X2 On that one^^^^
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

+1

Shbox = win
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up. I thought it was informative-not worthless. Perhaps my perspective is a little different than yours.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox

*please forgive hijack of dead thread*

I have Tunerpro RT (is still free if you don't mind sitting through the 10 second nag each time it starts...) and I can get it to connect to my '97's computer through the ALDL.

It appears that my next step is the definition file that I nee for my 97 LT1 car. I can't find that. I am admittedly a noob at using anything more than a code scanner on an OBD2 car.

Help? Currently my desire to use Tunerpro RT is to read any saved data related to codes. Long-term, I'm trying to get fluent with how to interact with OBD2 so that I could eventually tune my own stuffs.

Quick Reply: OBD 1 12pin to 16pin HATERS!