LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

reading on a drilled tps for 58 tb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reading on a drilled tps for 58 tb?

I have a 94 camaro z28 right now. Engine is fine, but I just bought a 383 a week ago for it.

Things I bought for the build.
Pacesetter headers
Racetronix fuel pump
Msd opti
58mm intake manafold

Need info on the 58 throttle body. Between bbk or professional performance. Don't care for looks of the tb

I need information on this tps or iac hole drilling issue.

anyone have any pictures of what this is and where it goes?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

MSD opti is no upgrade, return it if you can and just get the cap and rotor.

58mm intake manifold???? You mean a stock intake with the TB openings opened up? If so is it matched to the heads which NEED to be ported or aftermarket on a 383.
Do you have larger injectors?

http://para.noid.org/~lj/PCM%20Tutor...litBLMinfo.htm
There was a better page but it has gone down.
Once the passage is sealed then you need to drill a small hole like the stock TB has and be able to monitor the IAC counts and probably experiment slightly opening up that hole from there, give it time between adjustments though if you rush and only let the engine idle for a couple minutes you wont let the pcm relearn the new idle requirements and will probably go too big.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I Vote having the stocker opened up by someone over the BBK. I have a BBk so it's the only one I can bad mouth. Like 96 said it should be the last thing you do with regards to fine tuning the new 383. Has to be done with something able to log IAC counts so you can see exactly what it is doing. I say have the stocker taken out to 52mm and call it a day if the engine isn't to wild keep it stock. Stock TB retains the idle air circuit as designed and if you need them you get some bigger blades. By a foil if the look of the inlet bothers you and you can get a tb plate to dress up the top. foil may be good for 1 hp. If it's dirty on the out side, clean it with a brass wire brush and steel brush for the ruff spots. Just don't scar any important surfaces.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I believe my opti in it now is bad to begin with, want a new one in the new engine. Already using msd cap and Rotor.

Heads stage 2 ported, 58mm intake m. with runners ported, all gasket matched.

Forgot to mention 34lb accel injectors.

I use datamaster and all the others for my data loging, will also get a tune from pcmforless.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ussj4brolli
I believe my opti in it now is bad to begin with, want a new one in the new engine. Already using msd cap and Rotor.

Heads stage 2 ported, 58mm intake m. with runners ported, all gasket matched.

Forgot to mention 34lb accel injectors.

I use datamaster and all the others for my data loging, will also get a tune from pcmforless.
Don't listen to the MSD opti haters....I have one and it works just fine Meanwhile, there are threads almost daily of new GM Delco optis taking ***** within 500 miles; it is luck of the draw regardless of manufacturer....only sure way to eliminate opti issues is to buy a LS engine

I agree with others that a stock TB bored out to 52mm would work fine and be cheaper with less issues as the aftermarket 58mm TB's.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Who would do this? I'm in reno. Close to Sacramento.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Don't listen to the MSD opti haters....I have one and it works just fine Meanwhile, there are threads almost daily of new GM Delco optis taking ***** within 500 miles; it is luck of the draw regardless of manufacturer....only sure way to eliminate opti issues is to buy a LS engine

I agree with others that a stock TB bored out to 52mm would work fine and be cheaper with less issues as the aftermarket 58mm TB's.
you must have never heard of the 24x conversion.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

all optis suffer from premature assumption of failure and raging incompetents not diagnosing what killed them and therefore killing several of them in a row. Those of us who are competent spend a whole lot less on the Delco and have a more reliable piece than the MSD. The MSD offers no tangible benefit and issues with the rotor hitting the cap etc are all well documented. You just see a lot more complaints about the Delco because there is 100times more of them on the road and a lot of guys can't man up and admit they screwed up when they buy a $500 "upgrade" that turns out to be a bad thing.

"stage 2 and gasket matched" heads almost sounds like a joke.

IF and it sounds like a really big IF this 383 is decent then you do not want to put a 52mm TB on it, some places do open stockers up to 54mm(only select cores), yes all the 58mm TBs have some hassles to deal with but on a decent stroker I would do the 58mm. For a bolton car or the like then hell yeah 52mm rebored stocker will make life a lot easier than an aftermarket.

If you do put a rebored stocker on this motor though you will still likely need to drill the IAC bypass a bit larger.

Quick Reply: reading on a drilled tps for 58 tb?