LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

purge solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purge solenoid

i have a p1441 code on my 97 z i have replaced all of the components on the evap system about a year including most of the vacuum lines ago for this same code when does the purge solenoid open im trying to test to see if its working and cant get it to open is there a way to test the solenoid to see if its working properly
Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The PCM engages the purge at various times during a drive cycle. You can apply a ground to the green/white wire to the solenoid with the key ON to operate it or engage the field service enable mode by jumpering pins 5 and 6 on the DLC with key ON (you should hear the fans come on when you do this).

I would inspect the lines again to make sure there is no charcoal in them. The vacuum switch (round thing ahead of the solenoid) might also be reporting incorrectly.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

the first thing i checked was for charcoal in the lines and there was none. if the vacuum switch was reporting wrong the system would be operating correctly with the ses light on because the electronic part of the switch was faulty correct. i deff have to much pressure in the tank when. when i take the cap off there is a lot more pressure then normal. now the vacuum switch (round thing) i am able to blow straight thru it and if i blow thru the elbow on the bottom a can hear the plunger moving. if i blow thru the elbow to push the plunger down and block the other two ports with my finger its holding pressure is that the correct operation for the vacuum switch.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

ok when i grounded the green/white wire on the solenoid it opened and closed fine when i jumped pins 5 and 6 on the dlc together nothing happened no fans no nothing
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mab6680
ok when i grounded the green/white wire on the solenoid it opened and closed fine when i jumped pins 5 and 6 on the dlc together nothing happened no fans no nothing
I don't think the pin 5 and 6 thing has any bearing on the trouble you are chasing. It works like it is supposed to on my car. Have you checked that you can draw vacuum through the top port of the EVAP solenoid when it is not operated and the vacuum releases (opens up to the bottom port) when you operate it with the green/white wire?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

yes sir i hooked my pump up to the top port let it sit for a few to see if it held then grounded the wire and the gauge droped right down to zero

Quick Reply: purge solenoid