LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low Oil Pressure After Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Low Oil Pressure After Seafoam?

I seafoamed my TA this morning following this guide. http://www.lt1engines.com/tech/how-t...arbon-buildup/ I have used it before but never added half a can to my oil. Well I did this time and after driving about 10 miles my oil pressure is sitting at about 20 psi in park and about 10psi in drive. Did the seafoam just break up all the sludge and clog the oil filter/pickup?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huntr1117
I seafoamed my TA this morning following this guide. http://www.lt1engines.com/tech/how-t...arbon-buildup/ I have used it before but never added half a can to my oil. Well I did this time and after driving about 10 miles my oil pressure is sitting at about 20 psi in park and about 10psi in drive. Did the seafoam just break up all the sludge and clog the oil filter/pickup?
It's probably just the seafoam doing it's job...I wouldn't worry too much unless you still have low oil pressure after you change the oil. 10-20 psi is not "dangerously" low.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ahritchie
It's probably just the seafoam doing it's job...I wouldn't worry too much unless you still have low oil pressure after you change the oil. 10-20 psi is not "dangerously" low.
After I filled the gas tank, started the car and the oil psi dropped to just above 0. Check Gauges light came on and the car started to stumble. Gave it a little gas and it went back up to 10 psi. Should I change the oil now?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Teching In

i would suggest after using sea foam in the oil to run for about 30 minutes and then change the oil. the sea foam will water down the oils thickness.

be safe, dont hammer on it, run for 30 then drain and refill.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Jason is right, SeaFoam should only be used right before an oil change.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get that **** out of there. I wish people would get away from this sea foam craze. Its usually not needed.

I would put cheap oil in it, drive for 200 miles, then change it again with a quality oil.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my personal two cents.

Nothing goes in the motor but oil, PERIOD END OF STORY. This includes cleaners, additives, whatever. Depending on the "health" of the main, rod and cam bearings and journals, you roll the dice of possibly wiping them out and opening up bearing clearances which would result in lower oil pressure and put you a big step closer to having to pull the motor for a rebuild. In others words, get that **** out now.

The best way to cleanse the inside of a dirty motor, is to do multiple and frequent oil changes and let the new oil do the work as opposed to foreign chemicals. I dont care what Seafoam or whoever says about using chemicals in the order to clean motors, DONT DO IT.

I actually do like Seafoam put only down the intake in proper volumes in order to clean the valves, combustion chambers and piston tops. Even after I do this, I always immediately change the oil cause some of it may leak past the rings and into the oil.

I really hope you have not wiped out your bearings. but in the unfortunate case that you might have, be prepared for a possible rebuild.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gregrob

I would put cheap oil in it, drive for 200 miles, then change it again with a quality oil.
So this should help? Damn Seafoam!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

My grandfather used to put tranny fluid in for about 50 miles then change oil.. all his **** went for 200k+... he drove like a bitch though...
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seafoam is Naptha(paint thinner) light oil, alcohol and water, sound like something you want to drive around with in the crankcase?

Far as tranny fluid. It is an old MYTH that tranny fluid has a lot of detergents in it. Stop and think about it though, the tranny is not ingesting large volumes of outside air, it is not burning fuel making "ash" or carbon or anything else that would require a lot of detergent. IF it actually did any cleaning it did so by being thin and if someone wanted to try such a thing which I wouldn't a short interval of the now readily available 5w-20 oils would probably be safe and more effective since it does have proper detergent levesl for motor oil.

That said if you really think you need more detergent then try a diesel rated oil, most are gas engine rated too by API standards and they do have extra detergent properties and many are available in 10w-30 which is an approved weight if you look in your owner's manual.

In the past when I have run Rotella in my high mileage stock LT1s they got a little rattly like valvetrain noise after 1000 or so miles and an oil filter change quieted it down for a bit. Not scientific but I think the cleaning was filling and restricting the filter hence the valvetrain noise.

If you really want to use an additive AutoRX is genuinely good stuff. I have taken apart engines after running it and the results are surprising. Inside of the timing cover on one had hardly any brown varnish left even, it was cleaned to bare aluminum. This is NOT a solvent, it is esters.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

+1^^^^

Thinning the oil out is always a bad idea. The bearings need that cushion of oil to ride on.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Alright I changed the oil with some cheap mobile 10w-40 and an stp filter. Pressure is back up. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet, just let it idle in the driveway for 20 mins. When I drained the oil it looked pretty clear at first, then once the end was close it turned BLACK. Oil in the oil filter was BLACK too. Hope this helps, I'll change it again in about 200 miles.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be running 5W30 assuming it provides adequate oil pressure on a stock shortblock. Simply jumping to 10W40 unless there is a specific reason, could add additional stress to the oil pump drive gear.

Why are you running 10W40?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go 10-30 in the summer, but cheap 10-40 for a short interval isn't going to hurt him.
Glad to hear the pressure is back up. Hope it stays there for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO SEAFOAM IN OIL! I will suggest Casite and Lucas products. They work for me and a lot of other people. But never put anything in your oil that will thin it. Seafoam in the crankcase is like asking for a spun bearing.

Also, since you took advice from that page, I'll go ahead and tell you, putting Seafoam in through the brake booster hose to try and clean your top end is a waste of a good fuel system cleaner b/c it's only gonna clean the back 2 cylinders b/c it's too heavy to get to the other once. MCCC is what you want for that.
The following users liked this post:
chumbini (07-30-2020)
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you look at the owner's manual 10w-30 is OK above 0F at least in the b-body manual I see no reason for a difference in the f-body.

Far as 10w-30 or 5w-30 it is a MYTH that 10w-30 is thicker, it can be thinner at operating temps.

Far as 10w-40, the LT1 sent overseas got a 15w-40 recommendation for some areas, yes places where it can be quite warm during the day BUT also quite cool at night. I wouldn't worry about the drive gear unless using a HV pump or 20w-50 on the street I know guys race with it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Launching!

I've ran 10w-30 for the past 10 yrs I've owned the car. I put the 40 in because that's all the parts store had in the mobile oil that I bought. Thought it can't hurt since I'm only going to run it for 200 miles.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys are really worried about cleaning chambers, there is a great way to do it if you can moderate yourself. Take a spray bottle and fill it with water...tap will do...Pull the intake off the throttle body...do NOT put the water through the MAF!! Hold the throttle open a little (1500-1800 will do just fine). Spray in the water a little at a time. The engine will stumble slightly, but keep the rpm up and you'll be fine. If you can do it in moderation you will not hydro-lock the engine. If you want proof, look at an engine that blew a head gasket. Look at the cylinder(s) that ingest water. The piston crown will be perfectly clean compared to good cylinders that have carbon built up. FWIW the carbon build up raises your compression ratio slightly due to taking up combustion space, but also increases the knock risk because the carbon could light before the flame causing the knock...I say use water and then change your oil...besides the water is free...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

AutoRX is better
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duh
If you guys are really worried about cleaning chambers, there is a great way to do it if you can moderate yourself. Take a spray bottle and fill it with water...tap will do...Pull the intake off the throttle body...do NOT put the water through the MAF!! Hold the throttle open a little (1500-1800 will do just fine). Spray in the water a little at a time. The engine will stumble slightly, but keep the rpm up and you'll be fine. If you can do it in moderation you will not hydro-lock the engine. If you want proof, look at an engine that blew a head gasket. Look at the cylinder(s) that ingest water. The piston crown will be perfectly clean compared to good cylinders that have carbon built up. FWIW the carbon build up raises your compression ratio slightly due to taking up combustion space, but also increases the knock risk because the carbon could light before the flame causing the knock...I say use water and then change your oil...besides the water is free...
Steam clean!

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure After Seafoam?