LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Short block ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short block ????'s

Im currently looking into purchasing a new short block for my new project. I am currently looking at the golen 383 lt1 for boost and also the atk lt1 383 short block. Im curious as to who on here has used either of these blocks and there results with the engine. Just a little info as to what itll be used to hopefully help with some suggestions.
I plan on building the engine to run boost in the future. I know that the lower cr will net lower hp in n/a form but I dont want to rist the motor later on when I do boost it. As far as boost Im looking into a single turbo build.
I dont want to buy a short block to a year later when I boost it realize I should have spent a little more and purchased a better bottom end.
So Im curious if anyone is running either of these engines and if so are you currently boosted? If so how much power are you putting down? I want a reliable motor and dont need to rush. Im also considering stroking the stock lt
If I go that route I could use some suggestions on machine shops in the orlando area capable of doing the bottom end properly. I know this is alot but Ive done alot of searching and havent really found anything on the atk block.
End result with boost Im aiming for 650 to 700 rwhp. I just want a rock solid bottom end to hold that power.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my short block I called callies and for 2500, I got the dragon slayer stroker crank, Howards racing billet rods 5.875 length, JE/SRP pistons and pins (9.3:1 with .080 copper gasket I think it was) and 4 bolt billet main caps and arp stud kit. For boosted engines they said the most they recommend is 383, reason being being boosted and going with a 396 the rod ratio is pushin it for stress. And the 383 is a strong torque motor for lower rpms anyways. And I had the block groved for firewire while at the machine shop. Any questions feel free to drop me a note. I built my own motor and did alot of research for picking the parts I did. With 4 psi (600b with 15psi pullies) at 3800 rpm I was 380 hp and 360 tq on the dyno but found out opti was bad........would break up after 4k
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd avoid Golen for any type of serious performance build. Try a search - you'll find out why.

Might want to look at Karl Ellwein for starters, or a local reputable shop that is familiar with LT1s.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info so far guys. I greatly appreciate it. Does anyone have any experience with the atk 383 stroker short block??
Im not against rebuilding the the bottom end I've heard great things about the callies. I guess at that point I would just need to find a good local machine shop/builder. Any recommendations on shops in the orlando area would be great
Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

I pieced together my stroker kit then took everything to a local machine shop with great reviews and long years at the same location. I talked to him in person and felt confident to leave my parts there. This site has a section for everyone's state. Drop a post for reviews on local machine shops. One note , if you end up calling a speed shop make sure to ask if they do there own shortblock prep and assembly. Not un common for shops to farm out the short blocks to be rebuilt by another machine shop. and charge a little extra for the selves .
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The guy who told you to avoid Golen has experience with a Golen motor.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Yeah I saw the post from RamAir95TA on the not to go golen. Its pretty clear he knows what hes talking about, Ive read many threads and he always seems to have solid advice. Again I appreciate everyones input. Also Bigtoyz thank you for your post I def am considering going that route if I can find a good shop that wont break the bank. I honestly would expect that parts list to come out at a significantly higher price than that. TSAEB thank you for the post on the section with everyones state I guess I had missed that on the main page so Ill have to check that out.
Bigtoyz did you ever get your opti straightened out? If so have you been back to the dyno and what were your numbers?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Yes I did get it fixed I went the MSD opti route.....I just heard to many bad stories about dayna opti. I have had no problems with the MSD unit. No I havent gotten back to the dyno yet. I took the supercharger off cause it only did 4 psi.....gonna sell it and go twin turbo....... I think and once I get that done this summer, then it will be back to dyno.

And I feel Callies have great support. I had one wrist pin that was a .0005 to big and they had it to me next day no questions asked. Granted it is pretty small item but important one.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I'd avoid Golen for any type of serious performance build. Try a search - you'll find out why.
AGREED. Right from a friends car to parted out... and he wasnt even boosted.

I think his name on here was Mr WHITEY... he had a 93 formula....

Fresh motor.... GOLEN... tightened up on him on the way to work, and crank BROKE!!!!

Quick Reply: Short block ????'s